On This Private Jet, You Could Be Assigned a Seat in the Loo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With a cool billion dollars in expenses and more than a decade of research and development under its wings, the compact HondaJet has finally begun making its way to customers.
I had a chance to check out the initial $4.5 million model at Farnborough roughly two years ago. At the time, it was the smallest corporate jet I had seen — it didn’t feel all that more spacious than the Cessna 172 and Piper Warrior prop planes I’ve flown over the years, though a turbine-powered craft is an entirely different beast, of course.
Now, the original HondaJet has been replaced by the HondaJet Elite, a $5.25 million alternative, and the only model available to order going forward.
The Elite model was on hand at last week’s NBAA event in Orlando, and sports reduced cabin noise, a belted seat in the lavatory (yikes!) and 265 more miles of range.
Upgrades bring the aircraft’s total range to roughly 1,650 miles — enough to make it from Boston (BOS) to Dallas (DFW) without a stop.
Aside from extra flying time, the most valuable addition is the “belted lavatory” — as the name implies, a new seatbelt makes it possible for a fifth passenger to park themselves in the loo for taxi, takeoff and landing. Of course they’ll need to swap seats whenever another passenger needs to “use” the restroom for anything other than an FAA-approved seat.
You can also have a passenger sit in the right seat up front — the HondaJet can be flown by two pilots, but it only requires one. Given a choice between the cockpit and the lavatory, it’s pretty clear which one passengers would pick. There’d be an awful lot riding on that coin toss.
Honda Aircraft is also offering a “performance package” upgrade for the nearly 100 previous-generation HondaJets flying today, adding in some of the Elite’s improvements, such as a shorter minimum takeoff length, slightly increased takeoff weight and software updates that enable advanced Take Off and Landing (TOLD) calculations, along with an improved electronic checklist. Those enhancements will run you a cool $250k, but could be worth the investment to some.
For more on private jet travel, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees