Embraer’s Praetor Jet Feels Like a Giant Sports Car With Wings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frequent travelers have almost certainly found themselves on an Embraer aircraft — the backbone of many regional airlines in the US and abroad. Smaller models, like the ERJ-145, are dreaded by taller travelers, like TPG, but several of the manufacturer’s more recent planes, including the ERJ-175 and the new E2 series, offer a far more comfortable ride.
The company’s latest private jets, meanwhile, are downright luxurious, offering a smaller, cheaper alternative to a brand-new Gulfstream — if you don’t need the $45-million G500’s 19-passenger capacity or 6,000-mile range, Embraer’s brand-new Praetor 600 will carry up to 12 passengers some 4,500 miles for a mere $21 million.
I had a chance to check out the Praetor 600 and its smaller sibling, the Praetor 500 at the National Business Aviation Association’s expo in Orlando this week.
Both aircraft are striking, and if you’re in the market for a slightly more affordable corporate jet, the 9-passenger, 3,740-mile-range Praetor 500 (pictured below) can be yours for $4 million less, with a list price of $17 million.
Both aircraft feature 6-foot-tall cabins, with flat floors, plus two efficient Honeywell HTF7500E engines. I was especially impressed with the larger demo 600, though — these finishes, part of the Bossa Nova package, are unlike anything I’ve seen on a corporate jet.
There are your standard amenities, like fold-out tables, but with more sophisticated finishes, like the piano black paneling below.
The seats also rotate to face the center of the cabin, if you prefer, or you can adjust them backward to form a full-length lie-flat bed.
Since two seats are required for each traveler, you’ll have less room for passengers on lie-flat flights.
Many private jets I’ve seen have fancy electric blinds, which look pretty slick, but they’re a bit of a pain to use — I actually prefer the manual version on the Praetor, adjusted with the slider below.
There’s slick LED lighting as well — you can’t pick your own colors, unfortunately, but various accent lights still help set the mood.
Passengers can adjust some settings, like the reading lamp, directly on the flight status panel above each seat.
A flip-up panel reveals more controls, meanwhile, plus a cordless phone that lets occupants take calls during a flight via the plane’s speedy Ka-band satellite internet connection.
There’s another flip-up panel worth noting, too, at the far back of the cabin.
The lavatory is well-appointed, and it’s more spacious than what you’ll find on some far larger passenger planes.
While they’re updated from nose to tail, the Praetor 500 and 600 are based on Embraer’s Legacy 450 and 500, respectively, with more than 100 aircraft flying today, so they’re proven corporate workhorses for sure.
Both aircraft are undergoing testing right now, with deliveries expected in the second half of 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees