United Buys More 787s and E175s, for $2.2 Billion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Farnborough air show kicked off Monday, and United Airlines is the first US carrier out of the gate at the biggest aviation trade event. The Chicago-based airline added four more Dreamliners, picking up more of the longer-range 787-9 variant, along with 25 Embraer E175 regional jets. The 787 purchase is valued at $1.1B, and the Embraer purchase is valued at $1.1B for a cool $2.2B in purchases at list prices.
United was the US launch customer of the basic model, the 787-8, having first taken delivery in 2014. The airline now has orders for 55 Dreamliners, flying long-haul routes with the mostly composite-material, fuel-efficient aircraft.
“The 787 allows us to provide our customers with an industry-leading on-board experience and continues to be a vital part of our fleet,” said Gerry Laderman, United’s senior vice president of finance and acting chief financial officer.
For his part, Charlie Hillis, Embraer’s VP Sales & Marketing for North America was pleased with the E175 announcement, although the company’s bigger preoccupation at the air show is selling its newest product, the 100-seater E2-190. Embraer’s new jet just got beat by the Airbus A220 for a major order from JetBlue, and the Brazilian planemaker, whose civilian products will soon be owned and marketed by Boeing, is anxious to announce a big sale. On the sidelines of the event, Hillis said Embraer is experiencing very positive momentum in the regional jet market not seen in his 26 years at the company. “It’s not bad having 80% market share,” he said, referring to the 70-76 seat regional jet segment. The United network now has close to 400 Embraer RJs in its fleet.
Featured image of United Airlines Boeing 787-9 by Ravi Ghelani / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees