Hawaii will pay for your flight to do its remote work program – but there’s a catch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re like me, you’re really tired of working in whatever space you could carve out in your home as most companies (including ours) has employees working from home. Now, the state of Hawaii is offering you the chance for an amazing change of scenery and is willing to even pay your airfare.
Under its pilot “Movers & Shakas” program, Hawaii will pay for your airfare on Hawaiian Airlines or Alaska Airlines if you stay at least 30 consecutive days in Oahu. You’ll also be required to volunteer at local nonprofits including Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, Girl Scouts of Hawaiʻi, Hawaii Literacy and KUPU.
The state’s economy, which is heavily reliant on tourism, has been devastated by a severe drop in visitors because of the COVID-19 pandemic. So this pilot program could be a win-win for the state and those who want the chance for an extended stay.
Applications for the program opened on Nov. 29 and will close Dec. 15. If you’re among the first 50 people to be approved, the program offers a package of travel and lodging benefits to ease your transition. Hotels are offering special long-term rates for those looking for a place to stay. They include:
- Outrigger Waikiki
- Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger
- OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger
- Prince Waikiki
Workers also have access to discount workspaces at Treehouse, Hawaii Office Centers and Hub Coworking Hawaii. Plus get discounts at local restaurants at Duke’s Waikiki and Hula Grill Waikiki when you mention you’re part of the Movers & Shakas program.
Hawaii’s program is the latest iteration of efforts to get people to work remotely, including Work From Hyatt, Marriott, Barbados, Bermuda and the country of Georgia, to name a few. So now may be a great time to take advantage of a program that will take you away to a more scenic place to work.
If you are entertaining the idea of a trip to the Aloha State, know that Hawaii’s COVID-19 restrictions and entry requirements are changing seemingly by the minute. Check out this guide for the latest information about traveling to a reopened Hawaii, and what you need to prepare for a successful trip.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees