Hawaii expands Clear partnership, expedites entry with digital COVID-19 vaccination checks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It just got even easier for those traveling to Hawaii during pandemic times as the state and Clear have teamed up to expand access for travelers, allowing them to digitally upload testing and vaccine documents necessary for entry.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Starting July 9, all passengers over the age of 18 will be able to access Clear’s Health Pass feature in its mobile app to participate in Hawaii’s Safe Travels Program, which has allowed those traveling to and within the Hawaiian Islands to electronically complete a mandatory pre-travel health form, as well as upload accompanying proof of COVID-19 requirements, according to a press release from Clear, the secure identity platform that allows users to expedite security lines at airports and stadiums.
This is an expansion on a partnership that began in February, when Delta and United flyers traveling nonstop from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) were able to securely link their test results and verify their identity, making it easy for Hawaii to identify travelers approved to avoid the state’s otherwise-mandatory 10-day quarantine.
The Clear app is available free of charge, unlike Clear’s expedited security screening, which carries an annual fee.
“Safe travel is important for our residents and visitors, and Clear offers travelers an additional convenient and secure option for providing vaccination and pre-travel testing verification for those returning home or coming to Hawaii for work or vacation,” Gov. David Y. Ige, said in a press statement.
While there are currently no inter-island travel restrictions, restrictions do still apply to fliers from the continental United States. Beginning July 8, unvaccinated travelers must either take a pre-travel COVID-19 test and upload negative results to Safe Travels prior to departure or complete a mandatory 10-day quarantine. Fully vaccinated individuals can bypass these requirements, but must still upload their CDC-issued vaccination card to Safe Travels.
Travelers can shorten this process by uploading negative test results or vaccine verification by using the Clear’s Health Pass before applying for a quarantine exception on the Safe Travels website, where they will be promoted to link their Clear Health Pass.
“Health Pass is a free, mobile experience by Clear, which securely connects a person’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19 related insights, including proof of vaccination, to reduce public health risk,” the release said. “Clear’s Health Pass is able to link to vaccination results from hundreds of vaccine providers and national pharmacies, including Walmart, Atlantic Health System and the state of California.”
Feature image of state officials checking all arriving visitors and residents at Honolulu International Airport courtesy of Kent Nishimura / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees