Clear Health Pass will soon speed up quarantine-free Hawaii arrivals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s time to start thinking about creating a “COVID-19” folder on your smartphone — if you’re hoping to travel over the next few months, there’s a good chance you’re going to need to install some apps.
Airlines around the world will likely roll out their own document-verification tools, like the “Travel-Ready Center” now available in United’s mobile app, but third-party applications may also work their way into the mix, such as Clear’s and its integrated Health Pass feature.
Unlike Clear’s expedited security screening, which carries an annual fee, the company’s app is available free of charge, making it accessible to anyone with a mobile device.
Health Pass is already being used to verify negative tests where required for select sports arenas, and soon the technology will be used to approve tourists for quarantine-free travel to Hawaii.
Beginning next Thursday, Feb. 18, Delta and United flyers traveling nonstop from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) will be able to securely link their test results and verify their identity, making it easy for Hawaii to identify travelers approved to avoid the state’s otherwise-mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Travelers choosing to use the platform will be able to select an approved test, including labs and at-home options. From there, they’ll login to their testing account, and results will be linked to the app.
At boarding, Clear employees will scan the traveler’s Hawaii QR code, along with their Health Pass, and provide them with a wristband that they can then display to airport personnel upon arrival.
During the initial pilot program, Health Pass will only be available on Delta and United flights between LAX and HNL, though it could certainly roll out to other carriers and routes in the near future.
Featured photo by Timur Alexandrov/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.