Clear Health Pass will soon speed up quarantine-free Hawaii arrivals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s time to start thinking about creating a “COVID-19” folder on your smartphone — if you’re hoping to travel over the next few months, there’s a good chance you’re going to need to install some apps.
Sign up to get the daily TPG newsletter delivered to your inbox each morning
Airlines around the world will likely roll out their own document-verification tools, like the “Travel-Ready Center” now available in United’s mobile app, but third-party applications may also work their way into the mix, such as Clear’s and its integrated Health Pass feature.
Unlike Clear’s expedited security screening, which carries an annual fee, the company’s app is available free of charge, making it accessible to anyone with a mobile device.
Health Pass is already being used to verify negative tests where required for select sports arenas, and soon the technology will be used to approve tourists for quarantine-free travel to Hawaii.
Beginning next Thursday, Feb. 18, Delta and United flyers traveling nonstop from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) will be able to securely link their test results and verify their identity, making it easy for Hawaii to identify travelers approved to avoid the state’s otherwise-mandatory 10-day quarantine.
Travelers choosing to use the platform will be able to select an approved test, including labs and at-home options. From there, they’ll login to their testing account, and results will be linked to the app.
At boarding, Clear employees will scan the traveler’s Hawaii QR code, along with their Health Pass, and provide them with a wristband that they can then display to airport personnel upon arrival.
During the initial pilot program, Health Pass will only be available on Delta and United flights between LAX and HNL, though it could certainly roll out to other carriers and routes in the near future.
Featured photo by Timur Alexandrov/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees