United launches all-in-one travel center with support for vaccine passports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Keeping track of the ever-changing travel restrictions during the pandemic requires both a fine-tooth-comb and a healthy dose of patience.
Well, United has a solution that will both save you time and take out the guesswork. On Monday, the Chicago-based carrier unveiled a new all-in-one “Travel-Ready Center” to centralize all the pre-travel requirements — and get you cleared to travel.
The portal will then display the destination-specific COVID-19 travel requirements, as well as local testing options in select markets.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Customers will also be able to upload test results and/or vaccination records that might be needed for entry for both domestic and international markets. A United employee will then manually verify the authenticity of the documents.
After the documents are verified, the Travel-Ready Center will display a green “Travel Ready” status, which will allow you to check-in and bypass the ticket counter on departure. Just note that the travel requirements will only be displayed for travelers 18 years and older — families traveling with minors will need to complete check-in at the airport. Additionally, United recommends bringing physical travel documents just in case further inspection is needed during the journey.
Monday’s announcement is just the beginning; the airline promises future enhancements to the portal.
In February, the carrier will add functionality to allow customers to schedule pre-travel COVID-19 tests at more than 15,000 clinics worldwide. If you choose one of the United-approved providers, your results will be automatically uploaded to the portal, and you’ll become “Travel Ready” without any additional manual input.
Other improvements in the pipeline include adding in visa requirements and piloting a digital “vaccine passport,” should that be required for travel to certain destinations.
United’s move follows closely after one of its largest competitors, American Airlines, announced a similar pre-travel test verification tool. In partnership with VeriFly, American Airlines customers flying internationally to the U.S. will soon be able to upload negative test results to expedite the check-in process.
The renewed focus on streamlining the pre-travel experience comes as the U.S. is set to introduce a sweeping test requirement for all inbound flyers coming from foreign countries. On Tuesday (Jan. 26), all travelers — regardless of citizenship — will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of departure to be eligible to board a U.S.-bound international flight.
Plus, as the worldwide vaccine rollout continues, airlines are laying the groundwork for “vaccine passports” — perhaps in anticipation of mandatory inoculations for international travel.
Featured photo by Philip Pilosian/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.