United launches all-in-one travel center with support for vaccine passports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Keeping track of the ever-changing travel restrictions during the pandemic requires both a fine-tooth-comb and a healthy dose of patience.
Well, United has a solution that will both save you time and take out the guesswork. On Monday, the Chicago-based carrier unveiled a new all-in-one “Travel-Ready Center” to centralize all the pre-travel requirements — and get you cleared to travel.
The portal will then display the destination-specific COVID-19 travel requirements, as well as local testing options in select markets.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Customers will also be able to upload test results and/or vaccination records that might be needed for entry for both domestic and international markets. A United employee will then manually verify the authenticity of the documents.
After the documents are verified, the Travel-Ready Center will display a green “Travel Ready” status, which will allow you to check-in and bypass the ticket counter on departure. Just note that the travel requirements will only be displayed for travelers 18 years and older — families traveling with minors will need to complete check-in at the airport. Additionally, United recommends bringing physical travel documents just in case further inspection is needed during the journey.
Monday’s announcement is just the beginning; the airline promises future enhancements to the portal.
In February, the carrier will add functionality to allow customers to schedule pre-travel COVID-19 tests at more than 15,000 clinics worldwide. If you choose one of the United-approved providers, your results will be automatically uploaded to the portal, and you’ll become “Travel Ready” without any additional manual input.
Other improvements in the pipeline include adding in visa requirements and piloting a digital “vaccine passport,” should that be required for travel to certain destinations.
United’s move follows closely after one of its largest competitors, American Airlines, announced a similar pre-travel test verification tool. In partnership with VeriFly, American Airlines customers flying internationally to the U.S. will soon be able to upload negative test results to expedite the check-in process.
The renewed focus on streamlining the pre-travel experience comes as the U.S. is set to introduce a sweeping test requirement for all inbound flyers coming from foreign countries. On Tuesday (Jan. 26), all travelers — regardless of citizenship — will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of departure to be eligible to board a U.S.-bound international flight.
Plus, as the worldwide vaccine rollout continues, airlines are laying the groundwork for “vaccine passports” — perhaps in anticipation of mandatory inoculations for international travel.
Featured photo by Philip Pilosian/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees