American Airlines streamlines pre-travel health requirements with new mobile app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning to travel internationally, you’ll need to pack a negative COVID test when returning to the U.S.
Plus, your destination country might also require a pre-departure test, as well as other health documents.
To ease (some of) the burden, American Airlines is working to streamline the pre-travel process with new technology. Starting on Feb. 3, the Fort Worth-based carrier will expand access to the VeriFLY mobile app.
Flyers can download the VeriFLY app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, select a destination, upload negative test results and then receive a QR code to show at the airport check-in counter.
As of Feb. 3, American flyers can use the streamlined check-in process on the following itineraries:
- International flights to the U.S.
- Itineraries from a domestic airport (including connecting flights) to:
- United Kingdom, Canada, Jamaica, Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala
On Feb. 4, select British Airways passengers headed to the U.S. will also have access to VeriFLY’s mobile health passport.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
This QR code-based verification process is a win-win for customers and airlines.
According to Preston Peterson, American’s director of customer experience innovation, “VeriFLY offers peace of mind for the customer. By submitting their health information before getting to the airport, the customer will know they are ready to go.”
For flyers, check-in lines should move faster since agents won’t need to look at physical paperwork. Plus, as Peterson said, there’s added peace-of-mind that your pre-travel test was verified before arriving at the airport.
In addition to the simplified airport experience, airlines won’t need to worry about fraudulent COVID test certificates.
When announcing the expansion of the VeriFLY app, Julie Rath, vice president of customer experience at American said that “we are constantly looking at ways to make travel easier and simpler for our customers, and navigating testing requirements and validation is a big piece of that.”
Notably, VeriFLY doesn’t just verify your test result. It’ll also prompt you to complete digital attestation forms where necessary, which further streamlines the pre-travel health requirements.
To date, American says that thousands of customers have traveled using the app. And with the latest expansion, that number is sure to skyrocket.
One day, hopefully, the app will expand to include a COVID vaccine passport, which will likely be a major step in travel resuming to pre-pandemic levels.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees