American Airlines streamlines pre-travel health requirements with new mobile app
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning to travel internationally, you’ll need to pack a negative COVID test when returning to the U.S.
Plus, your destination country might also require a pre-departure test, as well as other health documents.
To ease (some of) the burden, American Airlines is working to streamline the pre-travel process with new technology. Starting on Feb. 3, the Fort Worth-based carrier will expand access to the VeriFLY mobile app.
Flyers can download the VeriFLY app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, select a destination, upload negative test results and then receive a QR code to show at the airport check-in counter.
As of Feb. 3, American flyers can use the streamlined check-in process on the following itineraries:
- International flights to the U.S.
- Itineraries from a domestic airport (including connecting flights) to:
- United Kingdom, Canada, Jamaica, Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala
On Feb. 4, select British Airways passengers headed to the U.S. will also have access to VeriFLY’s mobile health passport.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
This QR code-based verification process is a win-win for customers and airlines.
According to Preston Peterson, American’s director of customer experience innovation, “VeriFLY offers peace of mind for the customer. By submitting their health information before getting to the airport, the customer will know they are ready to go.”
For flyers, check-in lines should move faster since agents won’t need to look at physical paperwork. Plus, as Peterson said, there’s added peace-of-mind that your pre-travel test was verified before arriving at the airport.
In addition to the simplified airport experience, airlines won’t need to worry about fraudulent COVID test certificates.
When announcing the expansion of the VeriFLY app, Julie Rath, vice president of customer experience at American said that “we are constantly looking at ways to make travel easier and simpler for our customers, and navigating testing requirements and validation is a big piece of that.”
Notably, VeriFLY doesn’t just verify your test result. It’ll also prompt you to complete digital attestation forms where necessary, which further streamlines the pre-travel health requirements.
To date, American says that thousands of customers have traveled using the app. And with the latest expansion, that number is sure to skyrocket.
One day, hopefully, the app will expand to include a COVID vaccine passport, which will likely be a major step in travel resuming to pre-pandemic levels.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.