Hawaii ending all restrictions on inter-island travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii is ending all restrictions on inter-island travel July 8, 2021, Hawaiian Airlines confirmed.
Those traveling within the Hawaiian Islands will be exempt from travel requirements, including pre-travel COVID-19 testing, vaccination and quarantine.
The lift of inter-island restrictions aligns with Gov. David Ige’s announcement on June 24 that the state would be eliminating all pre-travel testing and quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated domestic travelers due to an anticipated 60 percent vaccination rate.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
For those coming from the continental U.S. to Hawaii, travel restrictions will continue to be enforced. Vaccinated travelers must upload their CDC-issued vaccination card to the state’s Safe Travels Program and also bring the paper card with them for review upon arrival, in addition to completing a mandatory health questionnaire via Safe Travels. Vaccinated travelers can bypass an otherwise mandatory 10-day quarantine on day 15 of being fully vaccinated.
For those unvaccinated who do not wish to quarantine upon arrival, you may do so by taking a pre-travel COVID-19 test from a state-approved testing provider and uploading negative test results to Safe Travels prior to your flight to Hawaii. Otherwise, you will be subjected to a mandatory 10-day self-quarantine.
Capacity for social activities will also be increased on July to 25 people and 75 people indoors and outdoors respectively, along with will restaurants who will be able to serve up to 75 percent of patrons.
“We anticipate that on or about July 8, Hawai‘i will have achieved a 60% vaccination rate. Our residents have sacrificed and worked hard to get to this point, but we still have more to do,” Ige said in a statement. “Please get vaccinated to protect yourselves and your loved ones. We are close to achieving a 70% vaccination rate, at which point all restrictions will end and we can return to the lives we remember.”
Face masks are still required at airports and on flights.
Our complete guide to visiting Hawaii right now can be found here.
Featured image of Kona International Airport March 15, 2021 in Hawaii by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.