Hagrid’s Cottage From Harry Potter Is Now Taking Overnight Guests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Can’t make it to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter World in Universal Orlando this summer? Don’t fret. Hagrid is taking guests in Northern England.
OK, not exactly. But think of this as a good thing, because anyone who has at least seen the Harry Potter movies knows that Hagrid’s actual hut doesn’t scream posh accommodations. Rather, we have The Ground Keeper’s Cottage at North Shire near Saltburn on the edge of the North York Moors National Park — which not only takes inspiration from the Hogwarts legend, but adds quite a few luxurious touches as well.
This cottage is riddled with magical inside jokes that owner and creator Carol Cavendish, longtime Potterhead, incorporated to assure guests get a charming “wizarding world” experience. “Books have always been an important part of my life even after being diagnosed with dyslexia when I taught myself to read,” Cavendish told Metro UK. “They’ve also helped me through challenging times when I would turn to the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books for pure escapism.”
Some of these touches in the cottage include an assortment of ink bottles and quills, a copper basin that’s reminiscent of Dumbledore’s pensieve, old baskets, ropes, leather bags and lanterns.
The layout and look of the cottage is also pretty authentic to the movie-version of Hagrid’s hut itself with circular rooms, a stone fireplace, stained glass windows, stylishly rugged hardwood floors and “wood beams festooned with Hagrid-style paraphernalia.”
Fans will also recognize the bathroom, while not very Hagridesque (yes, that’s a word now), it looks a bit like the Department of Mysteries.
The hut also has a galley kitchen, dining space and room for the whole family (two sofas, a queen-sized sleigh bed and a bunk bed) and yes, dogs — as long as they’re better behaved than Fang — are allowed join for a “small extra cost.”
The Ground Keeper’s Cottage will start taking guests May 2 to celebrate “Harry Potter Day”, but you can make bookings now. Rent starts at currently 195 pounds ($252) per evening. And when you book, don’t forget to use your Chase Sapphire Reserve to get 3x points on travel. Now that’s magic.
Here are some more Harry Potter-inspired travels:
- Drink Like a Hogwarts Post-Grad at This Potter-Themed Beer Festival
- Calling All Muggles: The Real Hogwarts Express Train Is Back in Action
- Things You Need to Know About Hagrid’s Newest Harry Potter Ride at Universal Studios
- This Unusual Destination Is a Hot New Tourist Attraction for Harry Potter Fans
Featured photo by Charlotte Graham / Cover Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year.
- Earn 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more