This Unusual Destination Is a Hot New Tourist Attraction for Harry Potter Fans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you feel like you’ve visited every destination a Harry Potter fanatic should, we have a new one to add to your list — and it’s not in Orlando, Florida.
Harry Potter fans have decided to commemorate the life of one of the most loyal protectors and friends of Harry, house elf Dobby. Major spoiler alert here, but Dobby became forever indebted to Harry after Harry freed him from the abusive Malfoy house. Dobby became so faithful to Harry that he ultimately sacrificed his own life for Harry’s. So, it’s no surprise that Harry Potter fans have now honored Dobby with a gravesite.
Arguably the most powerful fanbase to ever exist, Potter fans have scouted out the film location of Dobby’s burial to recognize the free elf in real life. The waterside grave rests in Freshwater West of Pembrokeshire, Wales. There, fans can visit the stone that reads, “Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf,” and pay their respects to one of the most cherished characters in the series.
If you’re thinking about honoring the elf, you may consider flying Aer Lingus or KLM, which both have reasonably priced routes into Cardiff Airport (CWL). Flights start at around $500 round-trip from major US cities, but keep in mind that the trip has the potential to make great use of Ultimate Rewards points, as they’re transferrable to both airlines. CWL is a two-hour drive from Freshwater West, but if you’re a dedicated fan, you’ll make the trek. After all, Dobby did save the wizard who stole our hearts.
Featured image of Pembrokeshire coast by Michael Roberts/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.