This Unusual Destination Is a Hot New Tourist Attraction for Harry Potter Fans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you feel like you’ve visited every destination a Harry Potter fanatic should, we have a new one to add to your list — and it’s not in Orlando, Florida.
Harry Potter fans have decided to commemorate the life of one of the most loyal protectors and friends of Harry, house elf Dobby. Major spoiler alert here, but Dobby became forever indebted to Harry after Harry freed him from the abusive Malfoy house. Dobby became so faithful to Harry that he ultimately sacrificed his own life for Harry’s. So, it’s no surprise that Harry Potter fans have now honored Dobby with a gravesite.
Arguably the most powerful fanbase to ever exist, Potter fans have scouted out the film location of Dobby’s burial to recognize the free elf in real life. The waterside grave rests in Freshwater West of Pembrokeshire, Wales. There, fans can visit the stone that reads, “Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf,” and pay their respects to one of the most cherished characters in the series.
If you’re thinking about honoring the elf, you may consider flying Aer Lingus or KLM, which both have reasonably priced routes into Cardiff Airport (CWL). Flights start at around $500 round-trip from major US cities, but keep in mind that the trip has the potential to make great use of Ultimate Rewards points, as they’re transferrable to both airlines. CWL is a two-hour drive from Freshwater West, but if you’re a dedicated fan, you’ll make the trek. After all, Dobby did save the wizard who stole our hearts.
Featured image of Pembrokeshire coast by Michael Roberts/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees