This Unusual Destination Is a Hot New Tourist Attraction for Harry Potter Fans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you feel like you’ve visited every destination a Harry Potter fanatic should, we have a new one to add to your list — and it’s not in Orlando, Florida.
Harry Potter fans have decided to commemorate the life of one of the most loyal protectors and friends of Harry, house elf Dobby. Major spoiler alert here, but Dobby became forever indebted to Harry after Harry freed him from the abusive Malfoy house. Dobby became so faithful to Harry that he ultimately sacrificed his own life for Harry’s. So, it’s no surprise that Harry Potter fans have now honored Dobby with a gravesite.
Arguably the most powerful fanbase to ever exist, Potter fans have scouted out the film location of Dobby’s burial to recognize the free elf in real life. The waterside grave rests in Freshwater West of Pembrokeshire, Wales. There, fans can visit the stone that reads, “Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf,” and pay their respects to one of the most cherished characters in the series.
If you’re thinking about honoring the elf, you may consider flying Aer Lingus or KLM, which both have reasonably priced routes into Cardiff Airport (CWL). Flights start at around $500 round-trip from major US cities, but keep in mind that the trip has the potential to make great use of Ultimate Rewards points, as they’re transferrable to both airlines. CWL is a two-hour drive from Freshwater West, but if you’re a dedicated fan, you’ll make the trek. After all, Dobby did save the wizard who stole our hearts.
Featured image of Pembrokeshire coast by Michael Roberts/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.