The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Getting a New Roller Coaster
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Expecto (patronum) big changes at Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The theme park announced Monday that it’ll be opening a new coaster in 2019. The yet-to-be-named Islands of Adventure thrill ride will replace the mainstay Dragon Challenge.
Universal won’t say much about Wizarding World’s newest ride, but in a blog post announcement, it promised it will be “the most highly-themed coaster we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure… and a few surprises along the way.”
What those lofty words actually mean is anyone’s guess, but if the Wizarding World’s action-packed robo-venture Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is any indication, the new coaster could be amazing. It’ll occupy the space left by Dragon Challenge, which takes the last ride of its 18-year run on September 4. As The Orlando Sentinel reports, Dragon Challenge first opened in 1999 under the name “Dueling Dragons.” Originally a part of the now-defunct Lost Continent section of the park, the ride was one of Islands of Adventure’s very first coasters — that’s more than a decade before Wizarding World opened its doors, and a full two years before the first Harry Potter movie even premiered.
Whatever the new attraction is, here’s hoping that it’s more unique than its predecessor. The Sentinel reports that Dragon Challenge’s two trains used to deploy simultaneously, whizzing past each other at mind-bindingly close distances, but that feature was adjusted in 2011 out of safety concerns, much to the disappointment of thrill-ride enthusiasts.
Featured image of the current Dragon Challenge coaster courtesy of the Universal Orlando Resort.
H/T: The Orlando Sentinel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.