The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Getting a New Roller Coaster
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Expecto (patronum) big changes at Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The theme park announced Monday that it’ll be opening a new coaster in 2019. The yet-to-be-named Islands of Adventure thrill ride will replace the mainstay Dragon Challenge.
Universal won’t say much about Wizarding World’s newest ride, but in a blog post announcement, it promised it will be “the most highly-themed coaster we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure… and a few surprises along the way.”
What those lofty words actually mean is anyone’s guess, but if the Wizarding World’s action-packed robo-venture Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is any indication, the new coaster could be amazing. It’ll occupy the space left by Dragon Challenge, which takes the last ride of its 18-year run on September 4. As The Orlando Sentinel reports, Dragon Challenge first opened in 1999 under the name “Dueling Dragons.” Originally a part of the now-defunct Lost Continent section of the park, the ride was one of Islands of Adventure’s very first coasters — that’s more than a decade before Wizarding World opened its doors, and a full two years before the first Harry Potter movie even premiered.
Whatever the new attraction is, here’s hoping that it’s more unique than its predecessor. The Sentinel reports that Dragon Challenge’s two trains used to deploy simultaneously, whizzing past each other at mind-bindingly close distances, but that feature was adjusted in 2011 out of safety concerns, much to the disappointment of thrill-ride enthusiasts.
Featured image of the current Dragon Challenge coaster courtesy of the Universal Orlando Resort.
H/T: The Orlando Sentinel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees