The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Getting a New Roller Coaster
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Expecto (patronum) big changes at Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The theme park announced Monday that it’ll be opening a new coaster in 2019. The yet-to-be-named Islands of Adventure thrill ride will replace the mainstay Dragon Challenge.
Universal won’t say much about Wizarding World’s newest ride, but in a blog post announcement, it promised it will be “the most highly-themed coaster we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure… and a few surprises along the way.”
What those lofty words actually mean is anyone’s guess, but if the Wizarding World’s action-packed robo-venture Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is any indication, the new coaster could be amazing. It’ll occupy the space left by Dragon Challenge, which takes the last ride of its 18-year run on September 4. As The Orlando Sentinel reports, Dragon Challenge first opened in 1999 under the name “Dueling Dragons.” Originally a part of the now-defunct Lost Continent section of the park, the ride was one of Islands of Adventure’s very first coasters — that’s more than a decade before Wizarding World opened its doors, and a full two years before the first Harry Potter movie even premiered.
Whatever the new attraction is, here’s hoping that it’s more unique than its predecessor. The Sentinel reports that Dragon Challenge’s two trains used to deploy simultaneously, whizzing past each other at mind-bindingly close distances, but that feature was adjusted in 2011 out of safety concerns, much to the disappointment of thrill-ride enthusiasts.
Featured image of the current Dragon Challenge coaster courtesy of the Universal Orlando Resort.
H/T: The Orlando Sentinel
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.