Frontier Airlines adds 3 more routes from Philadelphia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Denver-based ultra-low-cost carrier will add seasonal nonstop flights between Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare and Los Angeles (LAX), Frontier unveiled Wednesday. The Boston and Los Angeles routes will feature daily service while and the Chicago route will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
Frontier will begin Boston flights on May 1, Chicago flights on May 17 and Los Angeles flights on April 23. All of the routes will be flown with Airbus A320-family jets.
Boston and Los Angeles are both new destinations for Frontier in Philadelphia, according to Cirium schedule data. The airline flew the Chicago-Philadelphia route in 2015 and 2016. All together, Frontier will serve 24 destinations year-round and seasonal from the airport.
The new Frontier service comes Philadelphia (PHL) has seen growth from other discounters during the past year.
“We are excited that Frontier is continuing this trend by adding Los Angeles, Chicago and Boston flights to their PHL schedule,” Chellie Cameron, CEO of Philadelphia’s airport, said in a statement. “Passengers, businesses and our regional economy benefit when our airline partners offer more flights to more cities.”
Frontier, and other budget carriers, helped propel Philadelphia to what Cameron expects to be record passenger numbers in 2019, she told TPG earlier in January. The airport is on track to see more than 33 million travelers pass through its gates for the year.
Philadelphia saw seats grow on Frontier by 26% year-over-year in 2019, Cirium shows. Seats on Spirit Airlines, which is also growing rapidly, were up 35%, and on JetBlue Airways by 11%.
The airport is also home to a large American Airlines hub, which will add its — and the airport’s — first nonstop to Africa in June.
Frontier will compete with American on all three of its new Philadelphia routes, according to Cirium. Delta Air Lines and JetBlue also fly to Boston while United Airlines flies from Philadelphia to Chicago O’Hare. Southwest Airlines flies from Philadelphia to Chicago Midway (MDW) and Spirit Airlines to Los Angeles.
The unveiling of Frontier’s new Philadelphia routes comes a day after it announced a return to New Castle Airport (ILG) in nearby Wilmington, Delaware. The airline — which will be the only carrier to fly from the airport — will resume thrice-weekly service between Wilmington and Orlando (MCO) in May after a five-year hiatus. That service will end Delaware’s run as the only state without regularly scheduled commercial airline service.
Featured image by robertcicchetti / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees