Delaware is the only state without commercial flights; that’s about to change
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frontier Airlines is returning to Delaware in May, putting the First State back on the U.S. airline map.
The Denver-based low-cost carrier will offer seasonal service between Wilmington’s New Castle Airport (ILG) and Orlando (MCO) starting May 14, Frontier said Tuesday. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with Airbus A320-family jets.
Frontier previously served Wilmington from 2013 to 2015, ending flights to Orlando and Tampa (TPA) in April 2015, according to Cirium schedule data. At its peak, the airline served seven cities nonstop from Wilmington.
Currently, neither Wilmington nor any other airport in Delaware has regularly scheduled airline service, making it the only U.S. state without regular passenger flights.
While Tuesdays announcement includes only one route, Frontier spokesman Zach Kramer told TPG the airline sees the “potential to add more in the future.”
“We recognize the demand for affordable air travel in Delaware and are happy to offer nonstop flights to Orlando this summer,” Frontier senior vice president of commercial Daniel Shurz said in a statement.
Frontier plans to grow capacity by roughly 15% year-over-year in 2020, and double in size by 2025, its senior manager of network planning Jonathon Nield told TPG in December.
The airline had 98 Airbus A320neos and 67 A321neos, the latter including 18 A321XLRs, Airbus data showed as of the end of December. Frontier operated 98 aircraft at the time.
More on Frontier:The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Frontier Airlines flights
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees