Delaware is the only state without commercial flights; that’s about to change
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frontier Airlines is returning to Delaware in May, putting the First State back on the U.S. airline map.
The Denver-based low-cost carrier will offer seasonal service between Wilmington’s New Castle Airport (ILG) and Orlando (MCO) starting May 14, Frontier said Tuesday. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with Airbus A320-family jets.
Frontier previously served Wilmington from 2013 to 2015, ending flights to Orlando and Tampa (TPA) in April 2015, according to Cirium schedule data. At its peak, the airline served seven cities nonstop from Wilmington.
Currently, neither Wilmington nor any other airport in Delaware has regularly scheduled airline service, making it the only U.S. state without regular passenger flights.
While Tuesdays announcement includes only one route, Frontier spokesman Zach Kramer told TPG the airline sees the “potential to add more in the future.”
“We recognize the demand for affordable air travel in Delaware and are happy to offer nonstop flights to Orlando this summer,” Frontier senior vice president of commercial Daniel Shurz said in a statement.
Frontier plans to grow capacity by roughly 15% year-over-year in 2020, and double in size by 2025, its senior manager of network planning Jonathon Nield told TPG in December.
The airline had 98 Airbus A320neos and 67 A321neos, the latter including 18 A321XLRs, Airbus data showed as of the end of December. Frontier operated 98 aircraft at the time.
More on Frontier:The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Frontier Airlines flights
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees