This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Choice points can provide excellent value in expensive locations like New York City, Europe and Japan, as well as during events like New Year’s Eve and Oktoberfest. Choice points can be difficult to get, but this winter you’ll earn double points at properties when you check in between Dec. 4 and Feb. 15, 2019. To register for the promotion, click here.
You’ll need to register online for the promotion before check-out, but you might as well go ahead and register now. To register, you can either sign in to your Choice Privileges account or enter your first name, last name and Choice Privileges number.
Double points means 2x the base points earned from an eligible stay. Elite members will continue to earn their standard elite point bonus, but the elite bonus will not be doubled. You can earn up to 30,000 bonus points during the promotion period. Most stays that are eligible to earn Choice Privileges points will earn double points. However, the following types of stays are specifically excluded:
Rooms booked at rates below $40 per night, certain hotel initiated promotions, reward night stays, complimentary rooms, rooms paid for as part of a convention or meeting, rooms booked through a travel agent or third party online retailer including online travel agencies, wholesale packages, group tours, and stays booked using the employee discount or the friends, family and associate discount.
Additionally, stays at vacation rental property locations and stays at Choice Hotels in Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Guyana and Ecuador aren’t eligible. The promotion is only open to Choice Privileges members with a US or Canadian address who have their earning preference set to Choice Privileges points in their online account.
Stays must be booked directly, so use the secret Choice Hotels booking site for stays before Jan. 31 to get 1,000 extra points on each stay. If you use your Chase Sapphire Reserve you’ll earn 3 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent, which is a 6% return based on TPG’s latest valuations. If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred Card you’ll earn 2x points. Regardless of the card you use, register for Your Extras if your stay will be during the week to earn extra rewards.
Featured image of Gowanus Inn & Yard, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member in Brooklyn, New York. Image is courtesy of Choice Hotels.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees