Getting Great Value From Just 8,000 Choice Points per Night in Europe and Japan
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One hotel points program that doesn’t get enough love is Choice Hotels’ Choice Privileges, landing it first on our list of most undervalued hotel programs. And, if you need convincing that it’s worth a look, let’s review some top choices in travel hot spots in Europe and Japan at just 8,000 points per night. At current TPG valuations, that’s just $48 per night.
Star Inn Hotel Stuttgart Airport-Messe (multi-room suite)
As I write this, Katie and I are staying next to the Stuttgart airport at a Star Inn Hotel in a multi-room suite. As digital nomads, we were drawn by the extra space and desk, but were also pleasantly surprised to find two queen beds rather than the two double beds. While other rooms in the hotel have a two-person limit, this room can comfortably handle four.
The Montenotte Hotel
In Cork, Ireland, you can get a Choice hotel near the center of town at the snazzy Montenotte Hotel for just 8,000 points per night starting December 1 — down from the current 20,000 points per night rate. Not bad considering standard rates are around €119 (US$140) per night.
Clarion Collection Hotel Drott
Visiting Nordic countries can be hard on the wallet, and this hotel in Karlstad, Sweden is no exception. Rates start at 1,480SEK (US$183) per night for a room next to the central train station which includes a “evening meal” at the hotel. Or, you can just redeem 8,000 Choice points for a free night there. That’s a sweet 2.3 cents per point.
Comfort Hotel Osaka Shinsaibashi
Here’s another one from my personal experience. In the heart of Osaka, you can get reward nights for just 8,000 points per night. In typical Japanese style, the rooms are smaller than you might expect in the US. But the location simply can’t be beat, right in the heart of a bustling neighborhood packed with great restaurants and a few blocks from a shopping district.
Tokyo alone has four options available at 8,000 points per night, with three of these in the heart of Tokyo:
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Kanda
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Higashi Nihombashi
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Kiyosumi Shirakawa
Comfort Hotel Central International Airport
Here’s a third one from my recent repertoire. Located on the same island as Nagoya’s Central International Airport (NGO), this hotel makes an excellent option after a late-night arrival, before an early morning departure or for those who just want to AvGeek at the airport’s awesome SkyDeck (where Boeing DreamLifters are commonly found).
Tips for Availability
Non-elite Choice Privileges members get a 60-day window for booking reward nights outside their home country. As you can imagine, the best reward options get scooped up quickly. However, elite members can book reward nights further out than non-elites. Platinum members get a 75-day window and Diamond elites can book 100 days out.
That’s why I leveraged my IHG Platinum Elite status — obtained from my IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card — to match to Choice Rewards Platinum status. And, as I noted in my mid-year elite status update, I’m likely to re-qualify for Platinum from award nights alone.
How to stock up on Choice points
- The Choice Privileges Visa Signature Card is offering a 32,000 point sign-up bonus for spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days
- You can also buy Choice points from Points.com at a general rate of 1.1 cents each
Featured image by Montenotte Hotel
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees