How Chase Freedom Flex cardholders can earn up to 9% cash back this quarter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you carry the Chase Freedom Flex in your wallet, then you’re no stranger to rotating bonus categories. This quarter in particular, you’ll earn 5% back on Walmart and PayPal purchases, on up to $1,500 spent in combined purchases.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
But the deal gets even sweeter with an exclusive offer to earn 5% cash back on your top spend category on up to $1,500 spent this quarter, too. Until December 31, 2021, that’s an additional 4% cash back (on top of the 1% cash back you would typically earn on non-bonus purchases) on the following categories:
- Travel, including transit
- Home improvement stores
- Grocery stores, not including Target or Walmart
- Gas stations
- Live entertainment
- Select streaming services
- Fitness clubs
As a reminder, the Chase Freedom Flex earns 5% on rotating quarterly categories on up to the first $1,500 spent and on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstores and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Depending on your top spend category in Q4, you could be looking at 5% cash back on categories like home improvement stores, gas stations or fitness clubs that usually don’t get bonus points any other time of the year.
But if you’re strategic, you could stack the existing 5% earning rate on travel booked through Ultimate Rewards and PayPal purchases this quarter, for a total of 9% cash back on the first $1,500 spent. Although PayPal isn’t listed above, remember that PayPal is a common payment method that can be used to pay for your top spend category on top of each other.
Alternatively, leverage the existing 3% earning rate on dining and drugstores, for a total of 7% cash back on the first $1,500 spent in purchases this quarter.
How to enroll
You’ll automatically be enrolled in the top spend category promotion when you activate this quarter’s rotating categories on your Chase account.
No matter how you slice and dice this promotion, it’s a fantastic deal all around. You could be earning 5% cash back on categories that generally don’t get love with the Freedom Flex or stack the existing rewards rates to get up to 9% cash back this quarter. Click here for the full FAQs — and get spending!
Official application link: Chase Freedom Flex with a $200 cash back sign-up bonus after spending $500 or more on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Featured photo by John Gribben for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.