Chase details Freedom Q1 bonus: 5% back with gas stations, streaming services and select utilities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s almost time to start earning 5% cash back (or 5x points!) with a whole new list of Chase Freedom bonus categories, and now we know what they’ll be for the first quarter of 2020. From January 1 through March 31, 2020, customers making purchases at gas stations, on select streaming services and with internet, cable and phone service providers can earn a boosted bonus with the ever-rewarding Chase Freedom card — up to a grand total of $1,500 in purchases.
Best yet, paired with a Chase credit card that earns Ultimate Rewards points like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, the Chase Freedom’s 5% cash back effectively becomes 5x Ultimate Rewards points, as you can learn all about in our guide detailing Chase’s “Perfect Quartet.”
As always, beginning on Dec. 15, you need to head over to Chase’s site to active your 5% cash back — which you can still do for Q4’s bonus categories of Chase Pay, PayPal and department stores through Dec. 14. You can also register through your Chase mobile app, marking one less credit-card website you’ll need to visit on a regular basis this year.
Here’s how to register:
- Head to the Chase bonus activation page.
- Enter your last name, last four digits of your card number and your billing zip code. If you don’t have your card on hand, you can log into your Chase account to retrieve these digits.
- Click “Activate Now” to register.
- If you have multiple Chase Freedom cards, make sure to register each one.
- Save a screenshot of your activation, just in case there are any issues later.
If you’re not already a card holder, now’s as good a time as any to sign up. The Chase Freedom is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 in the first three months. You can redeem points for cash back (100 points = $1), or transfer them to Chase Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Sapphire Reserve. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Chase Freedom’s latest quarterly bonus categories. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older quarterly categories below.
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – it's automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.49 - 25.24%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠