This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
And the Chase Freedom Q2 2019 bonus categories are… drum roll, please! Oh, well, I guess you already know. I gave it all away in the headline. But since you decided to stick around, I might as well give you the full scoop.
From Apr. 1 through June 30, 2019, certain home improvement and grocery-store shoppers can get 5% cash back (or 5x points!) with the ever-rewarding Chase Freedom card — up to a grand total of $1,500 in purchases. (Go ahead and upgrade to those cage-free eggs in Q2. Treat. Yo. Self.)
Better yet, paired with a Chase credit card that earns Ultimate Rewards points like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, the Chase Freedom’s 5% cash back effectively becomes 5x Ultimate Rewards points, as you can learn all about in our guide detailing Chase’s “Perfect Quartet.”
As always, you need to head over to Chase’s site to active your 5% cash back — which you can still do for Q1’s bonus categories of gas stations, drug stores and tolls through the end of today. Also, beginning in April, you’ll be able to register through your Chase Mobile App, marking one less credit-card website you’ll need to visit on a regular basis this year.
Here’s how to register:
- Head to the Chase bonus activation page.
- Enter your last name, last four digits of your card number and your billing zip code. If you don’t have your card on hand, you can log into your Chase account to retrieve these digits.
- Click “Activate Now” to register.
- If you have multiple Chase Freedom cards, make sure to register each one.
- Save a screenshot of your activation, just in case there are any issues later.
If you’re not already a card holder, now’s as good a time as any to sign up. The Chase Freedom is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 in the first three months. You can redeem points for cash back (100 points = $1), or transfer them to Chase Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Chase Freedom’s latest quarterly bonus categories. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older quarterly categories below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee