Chase details Freedom Q4 bonus: 5% back with Chase Pay, PayPal and department stores
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s almost time to start earning 5% cash back (or 5x points!) with a whole new list of Chase Freedom bonus categories, and now we know what they’ll be for the fourth quarter of 2019. From October 1 through December 30, 2019, customers making purchases at department stores and via PayPal and Chase Pay can earn a boosted bonus with the ever-rewarding Chase Freedom card — up to a grand total of $1,500 in purchases.
Best yet, paired with a Chase credit card that earns Ultimate Rewards points like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, the Chase Freedom’s 5% cash back effectively becomes 5x Ultimate Rewards points, as you can learn all about in our guide detailing Chase’s “Perfect Quartet.”
As always, beginning on September 15, you need to head over to Chase’s site to active your 5% cash back — which you can still do for Q3’s bonus categories of has stations and streaming services through this Saturday. You can also register through your Chase Mobile App, marking one less credit-card website you’ll need to visit on a regular basis this year.
Here’s how to register:
- Head to the Chase bonus activation page.
- Enter your last name, last four digits of your card number and your billing zip code. If you don’t have your card on hand, you can log into your Chase account to retrieve these digits.
- Click “Activate Now” to register.
- If you have multiple Chase Freedom cards, make sure to register each one.
- Save a screenshot of your activation, just in case there are any issues later.
If you’re not already a card holder, now’s as good a time as any to sign up. The Chase Freedom is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 in the first three months. You can redeem points for cash back (100 points = $1), or transfer them to Chase Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Chase Freedom’s latest quarterly bonus categories. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older quarterly categories below.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee