Delta Looks to Fly Airbus A350-900 Between Minneapolis and Shanghai in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As we approach the 10-year anniversary of the merger between Delta Air Lines and Northwest, Delta is giving a nod to the former NW hub by submitting a proposal to launch Minnesota’s first-ever nonstop flight to China. The carrier has announced its intentions to connect its Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) hub and Shanghai (PVG) starting in June 2020, assuming all goes well with government approvals.
Better yet, the route will serve as yet another option to enjoy a Delta One Suite on the flagship Airbus A350-900. Currently, the A350 is primarily flying to Asia from Detroit (DTW), Atlanta (ATL) and Los Angeles (LAX), with Seattle (SEA) to be added once service between that hub and Tokyo (NRT) commences in March 2019. We’ve included the full list of Delta’s A350 routes below for those seeking to try out one of the most spacious and private business class products in the sky.
Routes (and inaugural flight dates):
- Detroit (DTW)-Tokyo Narita (NRT) — since October 30, 2017
- Detroit (DTW)-Seoul (ICN) — since November 18, 2017
- Detroit (DTW)-Beijing (PEK) — since January 17, 2018
- Detroit (DTW)-Amsterdam (AMS) — since March 2018
- Atlanta (ATL)-Seoul (ICN) — since March 24, 2018
- Detroit (DTW)-Shanghai (PVG) — since April 19, 2018
- Los Angeles (LAX)-Shanghai (PVG) — since July 2, 2018
- Seattle (SEA)-Tokyo Narita (NRT) — starting March 1, 2019
- Los Angeles (LAX)-Tokyo Haneda (HND) — starting March 31, 2019
- Minneapolis (MSP)-Shanghai (PVG) — starting June 2020 (proposed)
Ed Bastian, Delta’s chief executive officer, had this to say about the proposed route: “In addition to our Twin Cities customers, this new route will benefit travelers across the US with more competition and options for service to Shanghai thanks to our connecting hub at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.”
Brian Ryks, executive director and CEO of the Metropolitan Airports Commission, shed light on the route’s importance: “Shanghai is the largest Asian market without direct service from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. Direct service to China would be a tremendous benefit to the Minnesota business and hospitality communities. By seeking federal approval to fly the route, Delta is once again reaffirming its ongoing commitment to the Twin Cities and creating opportunities for people and businesses throughout the region.”
Delta’s A350-900 aircraft has 306 total seats, including 32 Delta One Suites, 48 seats in the Delta Premium Select cabin, and 226 Main Cabin seats. All seats offer personal inflight entertainment, power ports and ample overhead bin space, and all cabins of service include complimentary meals, snacks and beverages.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees