Delta members can soon earn and redeem SkyMiles on LATAM flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Delta made a surprising investment intended to grow its footprint in South America, purchasing 20% of LATAM Airlines — a member of the carrier’s alliance competitor, Oneworld. Since then, LATAM has begun building its new partnership, as has Delta, which last month announced a number of new flights intended to feed LATAM connections in Miami.
Now, both carriers are further integrating as part of the new partnership. With the duo’s latest announcement, as of April 1, Delta SkyMiles members will be able to earn and redeem miles for travel on LATAM. Additionally, LATAM customers will be able to earn and redeem miles on Delta-operated flights, as Brazil’s Passageiro de Primeira reports.
LATAM miles aren’t the easiest to earn — your best bet is to transfer points from Marriott Bonvoy at a 3:1 ratio, with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred. Amex Membership Rewards customers will soon have another interesting option for booking LATAM flights, though — points earned with cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card can be transferred instantly to Delta SkyMiles.
Delta and LATAM already codeshare on select flights, including LATAM affiliates in Colombia and Ecuador, with Peru expected to come online on March 29. The carriers plan to expand that arrangement as well — beginning within the next few months, customers booking tickets on up to 65 routes in North America will be able to connect to up to 37 LATAM routes in Brazil.
More perks are on the way, too — according to Delta, “Elite reciprocal benefits, including lounge access and priority boarding, bags and seats are expected to launch later in 2020.”
Photo by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.