Delta members can soon earn and redeem SkyMiles on LATAM flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Delta made a surprising investment intended to grow its footprint in South America, purchasing 20% of LATAM Airlines — a member of the carrier’s alliance competitor, Oneworld. Since then, LATAM has begun building its new partnership, as has Delta, which last month announced a number of new flights intended to feed LATAM connections in Miami.
Now, both carriers are further integrating as part of the new partnership. With the duo’s latest announcement, as of April 1, Delta SkyMiles members will be able to earn and redeem miles for travel on LATAM. Additionally, LATAM customers will be able to earn and redeem miles on Delta-operated flights, as Brazil’s Passageiro de Primeira reports.
LATAM miles aren’t the easiest to earn — your best bet is to transfer points from Marriott Bonvoy at a 3:1 ratio, with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred. Amex Membership Rewards customers will soon have another interesting option for booking LATAM flights, though — points earned with cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card can be transferred instantly to Delta SkyMiles.
Delta and LATAM already codeshare on select flights, including LATAM affiliates in Colombia and Ecuador, with Peru expected to come online on March 29. The carriers plan to expand that arrangement as well — beginning within the next few months, customers booking tickets on up to 65 routes in North America will be able to connect to up to 37 LATAM routes in Brazil.
More perks are on the way, too — according to Delta, “Elite reciprocal benefits, including lounge access and priority boarding, bags and seats are expected to launch later in 2020.”
Photo by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees