Delta Air Lines begins Miami build up with 4 new routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Atlanta-based Delta will add flights between Miami (MIA) and Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA) on May 4. Flights to Raleigh/Durham (RDU) begin May 22 while Salt Lake City (SLC) service starts July 28, the airline said Friday. All of the routes will be flown with Embraer E175s, except Salt Lake City, which will be flown with a Boeing 737-800.
Delta will offer up to 41 departures to 10 cities from Miami with new routes, the airline said. The new flights go on sale on Jan. 18.
“As our new industry-leading partnership with LATAM develops, this announcement broadens our footprint in South Florida to provide our customers with better connections between the U.S. and South America,” said Joe Esposito, Delta’s senior vice president of network planning, in a statement.
Delta plans to introduce codeshares with LATAM’s operating subsidiaries in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru in the first quarter. Tie-ups with the South American giant’s larger Brazilian and Chilean operations are expected later in 2020.
Miami is LATAM’s main gateway to the U.S. The Santiago, Chile-based carrier operates up to 11 daily flights to 10 South American cities, including Buenos Aires (EZE), Lima (LIM) and São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU), from Miami, according to Cirium schedules.
Delta president Glen Hauenstein said in October that the airline would add “key spokes” in Miami to support LATAM.
“We’re not creating a new hub, we’re not creating a giant connecting complex — we’re making selective adds,” Hauenstein explained.
The four new routes fit the theme of “key spokes.” Floridian cities like Orlando and Tampa are popular with Latin American visitors to the U.S., while Raleigh is Delta’s largest focus city, and Salt Lake City its only core hub currently not served from Miami.
Delta also challenges American Airlines, which operates a large hub in Miami, on three of the new routes. American serves Orlando, Raleigh and Tampa, Cirium schedules show.
Frontier Airlines, which is growing in Miami, flies between the South Florida airport and Raleigh as well, according to Cirium.
Delta and LATAM both operate from the South Terminal at the Miami airport. On Thursday, LATAM announced it would relocate next to Delta in Terminal 4 at New York John F. Kennedy in February.
Details on all of Delta’s additions in Miami are listed below.
Miami-Orlando: five daily flights beginning May 4
Miami-Raleigh/Durham: two daily flights beginning May 22
Miami-Tampa: five daily flights beginning May 4
Miami-Salt Lake City: one daily flight beginning July 28
Featured image by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees