Delta’s now allowing non-elites to stand by for an earlier flight for free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What a lovely mid-week surprise! Effective immediately, Delta flyers can stand by for an earlier flight — completely free of charge.
Delta Air Lines already discontinued most change fees, but a difference in fare may apply. If you’re looking to move flights within a few days of departure, your new pick could be significantly more expensive, potentially costing you hundreds of dollars in additional airfare.
As of today, flyers have a new free option at their disposal. Previously, general members and Silver Medallion elites had to pay $75 to stand by for an earlier flight — now, Delta’s no longer charging fee.
As the airline explains, “the new flight must depart the same day, and standby requests or a confirmed change must be made within 24 hours of departure. Customers can make their same-day travel change directly within the Fly Delta app or delta.com.”
Note that the free standby feature will not appear if the new flight you’re selecting has seats available in the same fare class you originally booked. If that’s the case, you’ll only be able to select a confirmed seat on the new flight.
For most travelers, a confirmed change carries a $75 fee, though it’s waived for Diamond, Platinum and Gold elites.
While Delta is often the first U.S. legacy carrier to implement policy changes (with American Airlines and United following), that isn’t the case this time around. Both American and United already offer free standby — American began on Oct. 1, 2020, and United flyers have been standing by for free since the beginning of this year.
American and United have the upper hand when it comes to flexibility, too — both airlines allow basic economy flyers to stand by for an earlier flight, but that isn’t the case with this new Delta policy. Note that Delta basic economy flyers do have the option to change their flights through the end of 2021, though a difference in fare may apply.
Some carriers have route restrictions as well. American and Delta only offer standby on flights within the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, for example. Some otherwise eligible routes only have one flight each day, so there may not be an earlier option available domestically, as well.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees