Delta will fly your pet in a GPS-tracked luxury carrier — for $850 per flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling with animals is something that the commercial aviation industry just hasn’t been able to get quite right. As more and more people travel with their pets, more problems have arisen — from a dramatic increase in passengers securing fraudulent emotional support animal (ESA) credentials to accidental deaths of animals while inflight.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Now, both the federal government and airlines are taking steps to address the problems that have arisen — both for passengers and for pets — with the increase in traveling with animals.
This week, the Department of Transportation introduced new restrictions on flying with ESAs, which would only allow trained dogs to fly in the cabin. However, for pet owners it’s a stressful experience to travel with pets if they have to be in the cargo hold.
Introducing the CarePod
In an effort to put pet owners at ease, Delta has partnered with a pet-safety startup called CarePod. The startup has created “luxury” pet carriers that go by the same name. Each carrier is equipped with a GPS tracking system, a built-in water bowl, a triple-locking door and industrial-strength walls insulated to protects pets against weather changes.
Sounds nice, right? Well, all this luxury comes at a cost — if you want to fly your pet in style you’ll have to shell out a cool $850 per flight.
The CarePod is about two feet high and big enough for a dog up to 50 pounds. Legally, animals must be able sit and move around in their carriers. Otherwise, they will not be permitted to fly.
Currently, the CarePod can only be booked on Delta flights to/through/from select U.S. airports including Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Los Angeles (LAX), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (JFK and LGA), San Francisco (SFO) and West Palm Beach (PBI).
Customers are required to arrive at least three hours before their flight with their pet on a leash or in a carrier and any important documents. Additionally, all reservations must be made 13 days prior to the date of travel. CarePod is not available on flights operated by Boeing 767s or Airbus A330-200s.
The CarePod is looking to become the solution to safe animal travel — and it very well may ending up being exactly that. However, at $850 per flight, it’s a steep cost, especially if you’re someone who flies frequently with your pet.
Featured image by Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees