Delta will fly your pet in a GPS-tracked luxury carrier — for $850 per flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling with animals is something that the commercial aviation industry just hasn’t been able to get quite right. As more and more people travel with their pets, more problems have arisen — from a dramatic increase in passengers securing fraudulent emotional support animal (ESA) credentials to accidental deaths of animals while inflight.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Now, both the federal government and airlines are taking steps to address the problems that have arisen — both for passengers and for pets — with the increase in traveling with animals.
This week, the Department of Transportation introduced new restrictions on flying with ESAs, which would only allow trained dogs to fly in the cabin. However, for pet owners it’s a stressful experience to travel with pets if they have to be in the cargo hold.
Introducing the CarePod
In an effort to put pet owners at ease, Delta has partnered with a pet-safety startup called CarePod. The startup has created “luxury” pet carriers that go by the same name. Each carrier is equipped with a GPS tracking system, a built-in water bowl, a triple-locking door and industrial-strength walls insulated to protects pets against weather changes.
Sounds nice, right? Well, all this luxury comes at a cost — if you want to fly your pet in style you’ll have to shell out a cool $850 per flight.
The CarePod is about two feet high and big enough for a dog up to 50 pounds. Legally, animals must be able sit and move around in their carriers. Otherwise, they will not be permitted to fly.
Currently, the CarePod can only be booked on Delta flights to/through/from select U.S. airports including Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Los Angeles (LAX), Minneapolis (MSP), New York (JFK and LGA), San Francisco (SFO) and West Palm Beach (PBI).
Customers are required to arrive at least three hours before their flight with their pet on a leash or in a carrier and any important documents. Additionally, all reservations must be made 13 days prior to the date of travel. CarePod is not available on flights operated by Boeing 767s or Airbus A330-200s.
The CarePod is looking to become the solution to safe animal travel — and it very well may ending up being exactly that. However, at $850 per flight, it’s a steep cost, especially if you’re someone who flies frequently with your pet.
Featured image by Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.