Delta adds 3 new routes from Atlanta and Salt Lake City hubs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will add a combined three new routes from its hubs in Atlanta and Salt Lake City next summer.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will connect Atlanta (ATL) to Boise (BOI) and Spokane (GEG) while Salt Lake City (SLC) gets a connection to Memphis (MEM), according to Cirium schedules and Delta confirms. The Boise route will be flown with an Airbus A320, the Memphis route with an Airbus A319 and the Spokane route with a Boeing 737-800. The routes begin July 6.
Delta is resuming the Salt Lake City-Memphis route after a five-year hiatus, Cirium shows. The airline also flew the Atlanta-Boise route from 2005 through 2009.
The new routes connect three cities already in Delta’s network to more of its hubs. Both Boise and Spokane are served from the airline’s three western hubs — Los Angeles (LAX), Salt Lake City, and Seattle (SEA) — plus Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP).
Delta’s new routes come as it plans to grow by roughly 3.5% year-over-year in 2020. While slightly lower than the forecast 4% growth this year, the focus domestically will be on buoying its “core” hubs: Atlanta, Detroit (DTW), Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Salt Lake City.
“This year’s capacity increases are primarily coming in the interior hubs… [that] have not seen significant growth in the past years,” said Glen Hauenstein, president of Delta, during an investor day on Dec. 12. He added that the four hubs had “been ignored” while Delta focused on building its coastal hubs in Boston (BOS), Los Angeles, and Seattle in recent years.
The new Boise, Memphis, and Spokane routes fit this strategy, helping Delta bolster connectivity at more of its core hubs.
No airlines fly between either Atlanta and Boise and Spokane, or between Salt Lake City and Memphis, Cirium schedules show.
The airline will also upgrade its seasonal flight between Atlanta and Bozeman, Montana, (BZN) to year-round status in July. Elsewhere, the carrier will add additional frequencies on a five existing routes from Salt Lake City and six routes from Los Angeles (LAX), Delta said.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.