Delta adds 3 new routes from Atlanta and Salt Lake City hubs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines will add a combined three new routes from its hubs in Atlanta and Salt Lake City next summer.
The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will connect Atlanta (ATL) to Boise (BOI) and Spokane (GEG) while Salt Lake City (SLC) gets a connection to Memphis (MEM), according to Cirium schedules and Delta confirms. The Boise route will be flown with an Airbus A320, the Memphis route with an Airbus A319 and the Spokane route with a Boeing 737-800. The routes begin July 6.
Delta is resuming the Salt Lake City-Memphis route after a five-year hiatus, Cirium shows. The airline also flew the Atlanta-Boise route from 2005 through 2009.
The new routes connect three cities already in Delta’s network to more of its hubs. Both Boise and Spokane are served from the airline’s three western hubs — Los Angeles (LAX), Salt Lake City, and Seattle (SEA) — plus Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP).
Delta’s new routes come as it plans to grow by roughly 3.5% year-over-year in 2020. While slightly lower than the forecast 4% growth this year, the focus domestically will be on buoying its “core” hubs: Atlanta, Detroit (DTW), Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Salt Lake City.
“This year’s capacity increases are primarily coming in the interior hubs… [that] have not seen significant growth in the past years,” said Glen Hauenstein, president of Delta, during an investor day on Dec. 12. He added that the four hubs had “been ignored” while Delta focused on building its coastal hubs in Boston (BOS), Los Angeles, and Seattle in recent years.
The new Boise, Memphis, and Spokane routes fit this strategy, helping Delta bolster connectivity at more of its core hubs.
No airlines fly between either Atlanta and Boise and Spokane, or between Salt Lake City and Memphis, Cirium schedules show.
The airline will also upgrade its seasonal flight between Atlanta and Bozeman, Montana, (BZN) to year-round status in July. Elsewhere, the carrier will add additional frequencies on a five existing routes from Salt Lake City and six routes from Los Angeles (LAX), Delta said.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees