Delta is testing new tool to let passengers upload vaccine cards ahead of their flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is testing a new digital feature that would let passengers upload proof of vaccination ahead of international flights to countries requiring tourists to have received the vaccine, TPG has learned.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Screenshots of the test, which were shared with TPG by a tipster who requested not to be named in this article, show an upload screen where customers can submit a scan of their vaccination card, tied which is linked to their passport number and passenger name record (PNR).
The passenger received an email from Delta two days ahead of their scheduled flight to Iceland, prompting them to upload a photo of their vaccine card. A link in the email opened a webpage with an upload field — the tool appeared to be web-based, but not currently available through Delta’s app.
A spokesperson for Delta confirmed that the airline is testing the upload feature on some flights to Iceland, as well as Greece.
“We are continuously looking to bring the technology to more routes where proof of vaccination is accepted or required entry documentation. Customers will also receive guidance prior to travel via email with instructions on how to prepare for their upcoming trip,” the spokesperson added, declining to share additional details.
United has previously introduced features allowing passengers to upload vaccine and test documentation ahead of a flight through its Travel Ready Center.
The Delta tool comes as nations around the world continue to adjust travel and entry policies as the delta variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus continues to spread.
The airline previously introduced a web-based tool allowing passengers to upload proof of a negative COVID-19 test, where required. The tool, called Delta FlyReady, was introduced on select routes to the United Kingdom this spring, before it was introduced more broadly on international routes. The feature uses a platform called TrustAssure, by CLX Health, to manage test results.
In June, Delta said that it planned to integrate vaccine documentation into the Delta FlyReady platform at some point this summer. The new vaccine proof feature appeared to be part of that same platform, which can be viewed at a public webpage.
Featured photo courtesy of Delta.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees