Deal alert: Take 30% off of Alaska flights today, thanks to this NFL quarterback
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thanks to the CFO of Alaska Airlines, we can all enjoy a 30 percent discount on flights booked today, Oct. 12.
But that acronym doesn’t stand for Chief Financial Officer in this particular case. This CFO is Russell Wilson, the quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks who also serves as Alaska Airlines’s Chief Football Officer.
And whether or not you’re a fan of American football, this season will bring excitement for all travelers: Throughout the 2020 football season, Alaska Airlines will offer discounts tied directly to Wilson’s performance on the field each week.
Alaska scores Wilson’s success the same way the NFL does: Each of Wilson’s successful passing or rushing touchdowns during regular season home games count toward travel discounts off of the base fare rate, up to a total of 40 percent off.
The Seattle Seahawks are undefeated thus far in the 2020 NFL season, with a fifth victory under their belts after Sunday night’s winning game against the Minnesota Vikings. “With the quarterback we have, there’s no doubt in our minds that we’re not going to go down here and score,” Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf said after the game.
Wilson’s success on the field bodes well for your travel plans this fall and winter. Each week, the promotional discount will be valid shortly after the game ends, until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time the following day. However, not all fares will be eligible for the discount, while discount levels, travel dates, eligible destinations, and other restrictions may vary for each game.
Here’s what you need to know about this week’s 30 percent sale:
- Through Oct. 12, save on flights that depart or arrive in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska (excluding Prudhoe Bay), or Montana between October 31, 2020 and December 16, 2020.
- Day of week restrictions and blackout dates apply:
- Travel to Hawaii, Mexico, or Costa Rica is valid Sundays through Wednesdays
- Travel from Hawaii, Mexico, or Costa Rica is valid Tuesdays through Fridays
- Travel to/from all other cities is valid Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays
- Enter TAKEOFF30 into the discount code field, and then click “Find flights” to start your search.
- The discount is valid for up to six travelers at a time when booked and ticketed on the same reservation.
- The discount applies to one-way or round-trip travel.
- Discount does not apply to government-imposed taxes and airport fees. Cannot be combined with other promotions. Discount code must be applied toward purchase of ticket by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Oct. 12, 2020.
- Blackout dates apply on Nov. 21, 24-25, and 28-29, 2020. Travel on these blackout dates receive a 10 percent discount.
- The discount is valid for new ticket purchases only, and cannot be applied toward existing reservations.
- Changes and refunds may be allowed, depending on the specific ticket. Fee differences in changed itineraries will not be eligible for the discounted amount.
These are some of the best fares we’ve found:
Seattle (SEA) to Portland (PDX) in November for $51 one way:
Dallas (DFW) to Los Angeles (LAX) in December for $103 one way:
Seattle (SEA) to Anchorage (ANC) in December for $86 one way:
Keep in mind that Alaska’s current peace-of-mind waiver covers all flights booked through Dec. 31, 2020. Beginning Jan. 1, 2021, change fees will be eliminated on Main and First Class fares on all Alaska routes.
Alaska Airlines has long been known for offering fun promotions. In the past, travelers have been allowed to board early with the right attire, or enjoy discounts to see the northern lights based on aurora borealis activity. The airline also periodically offers its ever-popular buy one, get one free promotion.
Featured photo by adamkaz / Getty Images from 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.