Deal alert: Visit Alaska to see the northern lights for up to 35% off
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How can you score a good discount to Alaska to view the northern lights? Alaska Air is letting the skies decide. The Pacific Northwest-based airline is offering a whimsical promotion right now through its “aurora sale.” The brighter the aurora borealis (northern lights) phenomenon may be, the higher the discount, from 15-35% off flights between the lower 48 states and Anchorage (ANC) or Fairbanks (FAI).
Scientists use a metric called the Kp index to measure the predicted level of electromagnetic activity which, in turn, fuels the eerily spectacular show of lights of the aurora. Alaska Air is offering the following discount tiers, depending on the official predictions from the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute:
- 0 to 3 Kp = 15% off
- 4 to 5 Kp = 20% off
- 6 to 7 Kp = 25% off
- 8 to 9 Kp = 35% off
Based on current electromagnetic levels, flights to Alaska are 20% off right now.
This deal is only available through Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, so keep your eyes peeled this week for any spikes in activity. The cheapest current fares appear to be available during the first week of February.
Alaska is one of our favorite destinations for families who want to see the northern lights. No passports are required, which make the process that much easier, and a good number of hotels across the state are available on points and miles.
Here’s how to book this deal:
- In the booking form on this page, enter a departure city in the lower 48 states and a destination of either Anchorage (ANC) or Fairbanks (FAI).
- Add departure and return dates between Jan. 13 and Feb. 12, 2020 and select the number of travelers.
- Make sure that the discount code BOREALIS is appearing in the discount code field, and then click “Find flights” to start saving.
Routes: the lower 48 states to ANC/FAI
Cost: up to 35% off regular flight prices off when using discount code BOREALIS
Dates: Jan. 13 to Feb. 12, 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
From Seattle to Anchorage in mid-February: $187 before discount vs. $171 with discount:
From Los Angeles to Anchorage in mid-February: $297 before discount vs. $246 with discount:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees