Deal alert: Visit Alaska to see the northern lights for up to 35% off
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How can you score a good discount to Alaska to view the northern lights? Alaska Air is letting the skies decide. The Pacific Northwest-based airline is offering a whimsical promotion right now through its “aurora sale.” The brighter the aurora borealis (northern lights) phenomenon may be, the higher the discount, from 15-35% off flights between the lower 48 states and Anchorage (ANC) or Fairbanks (FAI).
Scientists use a metric called the Kp index to measure the predicted level of electromagnetic activity which, in turn, fuels the eerily spectacular show of lights of the aurora. Alaska Air is offering the following discount tiers, depending on the official predictions from the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute:
- 0 to 3 Kp = 15% off
- 4 to 5 Kp = 20% off
- 6 to 7 Kp = 25% off
- 8 to 9 Kp = 35% off
Based on current electromagnetic levels, flights to Alaska are 20% off right now.
This deal is only available through Friday, Jan. 17, 2020, so keep your eyes peeled this week for any spikes in activity. The cheapest current fares appear to be available during the first week of February.
Alaska is one of our favorite destinations for families who want to see the northern lights. No passports are required, which make the process that much easier, and a good number of hotels across the state are available on points and miles.
Here’s how to book this deal:
- In the booking form on this page, enter a departure city in the lower 48 states and a destination of either Anchorage (ANC) or Fairbanks (FAI).
- Add departure and return dates between Jan. 13 and Feb. 12, 2020 and select the number of travelers.
- Make sure that the discount code BOREALIS is appearing in the discount code field, and then click “Find flights” to start saving.
Routes: the lower 48 states to ANC/FAI
Cost: up to 35% off regular flight prices off when using discount code BOREALIS
Dates: Jan. 13 to Feb. 12, 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
From Seattle to Anchorage in mid-February: $187 before discount vs. $171 with discount:
From Los Angeles to Anchorage in mid-February: $297 before discount vs. $246 with discount:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.