Cruises to resume from Boston and New York with sailings to Bermuda
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Add Boston and New York to the list of cities where cruising is resuming.
Crystal Cruises on Tuesday announced it would become the first cruise line to restart departures out of the two cities with sailings to Bermuda beginning in August.
The Miami-based luxury line said its 922-passenger Crystal Symphony initially would sail a series of seven-night voyages to Bermuda out of Boston starting on Aug. 22.
The ship then will reposition to New York for a series of seven-night voyages to Bermuda starting on Sept. 24.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
All of the voyages will bring two full days and two nights in Bermuda.
The voyages (13 in total) to Bermuda replace initial restart cruises that Crystal had planned to operate this summer in the Caribbean out of the islands of St. Martin and Antigua. Those trips recently were canceled.
Crystal suggested that U.S. cruisers right now are looking for voyages out of easy-to-reach, close-to-home ports such as Boston and New York City.
“As the entire travel industry emerges from the restrictions of the global pandemic, flexibility has been key in reestablishing meaningful experiences for travelers,” Crystal president Jack Anderson said in a statement accompanying Crystal’s announcement. “For cruising, in particular, the recent positive developments of ships sailing from U.S. ports have prompted U.S. travelers to show an increased preference for more direct access to luxury cruise options closer to home.”
Crystal said the voyages would operate at a reduced capacity and only would be open to passengers vaccinated for COVID-19.
Crystal’s announcement comes as a growing number of cruise lines including Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Line are restarting operations out of U.S. ports for the first time in 16 months.
Like all major cruise lines around the world, Crystal halted operations worldwide in March of 2020 after the COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic.
Crystal just resumed operations for the first time in 16 months on July 3 with a single ship sailing out of Nassau in the Bahamas. The line also has a new expedition cruise vessel scheduled to start sailings out of Reykjavík, Iceland, on Thursday.
Crystal Symphony will be the third Crystal vessel to start up operations since cruising around the world shut down.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image courtesy of Crystal Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees