Battle of the 5-star hotels: Watch us compare 2 luxury beach hotels in Mexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here at TPG U.K., we love to be in the sky, comparing cabins on airlines all around the world. But we also need somewhere to stay when we arrive at a destination.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Right before the COVID-19 pandemic began, TPG U.K. pitted luxury hotels in Doha, Qatar, against each other. Hot off the heels of this viral success, I headed to the west coast of Mexico with TPG video producer Marc Ramos to conduct a fresh hotel battle.
You can watch the full video of our experience here:
St. Regis Punta Mita – Nicky Kelvin
We paid: $1,500 per night
At the St. Regis, I thought the bed was one of the most comfortable I’ve ever experienced. The beach had a raw, wild beauty to it and there were many pools and other chill-out spots to enjoy. The unique St. Regis butler service was also a great touch.
It wasn’t all fantastic, however. The mostly excellent service from the staff at the resort was occasionally slow and unfriendly. The rates for the hotel were rather high for the region and the level of service received. The hotel was full, so there were no upgrade opportunities available even though I have Titanium Elite status with Marriott.
W Punta de Mita – Marc Ramos
We paid: $598 per night
Ramos adored the view and overall ambiance from the room in the jungle escape, which was extremely meditative and relaxing. The art around the property immerses you in Mexican culture and the staff members were incredibly warm and inviting.
On the downside, the resort didn’t offer any on-site activities. The cabana pads and lounge chairs were stored rather early in the evening and the color palette in the room itself was visually distracting at times.
Featured image by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees