Amex delays opening of Denver, London Centurion Lounges
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
2020 has been a big year for the American Express Centurion Lounge network.
Despite the pandemic, the issuer forged ahead with investment in its top-tier airport lounge network and opened four new lounges, with plans for even more.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
However, we’ve learned that two openings that were slated for this year in Denver (DEN) and London Heathrow (LHR) have been delayed.
American Express confirmed to TPG in a statement that the opening of both will slide to 2021, saying “Due to these unprecedented times, our lounge openings at Denver International Airport (DEN) and Heathrow Airport (LHR) are experiencing delays. We will continue to work closely with our airport partners and look forward to opening in 2021. We will share more information soon, so stay tuned!”
The Denver lounge has been delayed multiple times. Once it opens, it’ll be located in Terminal C (primarily serving Southwest Airlines) and will hold the title of the second-largest Centurion Lounge at 14,650 square feet.
On a recent visit through the airport, I noticed that the construction was definitely progressing, so it’s certainly a bummer for those who were excited to check out the Denver location this ski season.
The Heathrow location in Terminal 3 will be the issuer’s second international location. (The first is in Hong Kong.) At just about 7,000 square feet, the relatively small space will feature showers, private workstations and other amenities.
Still, with four new lounges this year, Platinum and Centurion cardmembers have plenty of exclusive spaces waiting for them when they’re ready to take to the skies again.
Next year is also shaping up to be a blockbuster year for the Centurion Lounge network.
In addition to the two new outposts, Amex plans to open a new space at New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA). This one will be located post-security in the brand-new Terminal B Departures and Arrivals Hall — a marked improvement from the previous LGA lounge.
The Las Vegas space is getting overhauled as well. Slated to open in 2021, the expanded lounge will grow by about 50%. With a new design, it’ll offer additional multipurpose rooms, new private telephone booths, workspace areas and a refreshed reception area.
Earlier this month, Amex announced that its San Francisco location (SFO) will also receive a significant expansion. With more than 1,200 daily visitors (pre-pandemic, of course), the current space was subject to significant overcrowding. We don’t yet know when the new SFO space will open, but our fingers are crossed for it to be soon.
In recent months, Amex has sweetened the deal for cardholders currently stuck at home. The issuer added credits for streaming and wireless telephone carriers for the rest of the year for all holders of The Platinum Card® from American Express. Plus, the issuer has introduced limited-time offers for those looking to book trips through Amex Travel.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees