Amex to significantly expand San Francisco Centurion Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bay Area flyers, rejoice.
American Express plans to significantly expand and refresh its Centurion Lounge in the San Francisco airport (SFO).
This is welcome news for anyone who’s passed through SFO in recent years. Located in Terminal 3, the Centurion Lounge is often one of the most crowded in the entire network.
A spokesperson confirmed to TPG that the lounge will nearly double in size. Once complete, the new space will measure nearly 16,000 square-feet, making it one of the largest Centurion Lounges in the network.
As part of the expansion, Amex will launch a new menu curated by Executive Chef Rabi Kapur.
Unfortunately, the issuer didn’t have further details to share, like when the construction would be complete. However, it did confirm that the lounge will remain in Terminal 3, home to United’s SFO operations.
In the years leading up to the pandemic, the San Francisco outpost was always packed. Considering how many Platinum Card® from American Express cardmembers travel through this mega-hub, there were often waitlists to enter. If you did manage to get in, finding a seat was a challenge in and of itself.
In fact, when I recently reviewed the space in February, I arrived at the lounge just as it opened at around 5 a.m. By 7 a.m., the dining area was standing-room-only.
Amex recently reopened the existing SFO location on Oct. 12, following a nearly six-month closure. As part of the reopening, Amex introduced the Centurion Lounge Commitment, requiring all guests to wear face coverings. Additionally, all surfaces are getting deep cleaned more frequently and the bar and buffet are no longer self-serve.
And, Amex has lowered the number of people it lets in the doors to promote physical distancing. In recent days, TPG has heard from readers that even in the midst of the pandemic, this lounge is filling up to its capacity maximum.
Thankfully, help is on the way. Fingers crossed that the expansion will happen sooner rather than later.
Despite the pandemic, Amex is doubling down on its Centurion Lounge network. The issuer has opened four new locations in 2020: Charlotte, Los Angeles, New York-JFK and Phoenix. Additionally, the issuer is building a brand-new location in LaGuardia’s Terminal B. Plus, the Las Vegas outpost is undergoing a much-needed renovation and expansion as well.
But that’s not all.
Amex still plans to open two new outposts by the end of the year, one in Denver and the other in London’s Heathrow Airport. As such, there’s truly no better time to be a Platinum cardmember.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees