British Airways Confirms Huge Boeing 777-9 Order as Queen of the Skies Replacement Continues
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways announced on Thursday a firm order for 18 Boeing 777-9 aircraft, with an option for a further 24 variants of the aircraft in a multi-billion-dollar order.
At list price, the full order comes at a cost of almost $20 billion, although airlines usually receive a deep discount for large orders like this.
The new aircraft, to be delivered from 2022, will replace 14 of the airline’s existing Boeing 747 jumbo jets as well as four older Boeing 777-200s. British Airways is the world’s largest operator of Boeing 747 aircraft, with 35 currently in its fleet.
As British Airways did not — and most likely will not — order the newest Boeing 747-8 variant, its 747s have an average age of 22 years, compared with only five years for its Airbus A380s and three years for its 787 Dreamliners.
Willie Walsh, the head of British Airways’ parent company, IAG, said of the order:
“The new B777-9 is the world’s most fuel efficient longhaul aircraft and will bring many benefits to British Airways’ fleet. It’s the ideal replacement for the Boeing 747 and its size and range will be an excellent fit for the airline’s existing network.
This aircraft will provide further cost efficiencies and environmental benefits with fuel cost per seat improvements of 30 per cent compared to the Boeing 747.”
2019 is a huge year for British Airways as it both celebrates its 100th year with special retro liveries and also introduces its brand-new and highly anticipated Club World seat on its first Airbus A350 aircraft. The new seat is set to replace its outdated high-density business-class layout, introduced more than a decade ago.
British Airways’ new 777-9 aircraft will feature a four-class configuration with a total of 325 seats. Each of the aircraft will be powered by GE9x engines from General Electric. While the aircraft are expected to be outfitted with the new Club World seat, they may also include a new first-class seat, given the lead time before the first delivery in 2022.
British Airways won’t be the launch customer for the 777-9, though — that honor goes to Emirates who will start to receive theirs from next year, followed by Lufthansa who will also feature an all new business-class seat. The 777-9 is the larger of two variants of the 777X family, which also includes the ultra-long-haul 777-8, and is scheduled to make its first flight this year. Boeing intends to replace its current 777 models with it.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.