British Airways Confirms Huge Boeing 777-9 Order as Queen of the Skies Replacement Continues
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways announced on Thursday a firm order for 18 Boeing 777-9 aircraft, with an option for a further 24 variants of the aircraft in a multi-billion-dollar order.
At list price, the full order comes at a cost of almost $20 billion, although airlines usually receive a deep discount for large orders like this.
The new aircraft, to be delivered from 2022, will replace 14 of the airline’s existing Boeing 747 jumbo jets as well as four older Boeing 777-200s. British Airways is the world’s largest operator of Boeing 747 aircraft, with 35 currently in its fleet.
As British Airways did not — and most likely will not — order the newest Boeing 747-8 variant, its 747s have an average age of 22 years, compared with only five years for its Airbus A380s and three years for its 787 Dreamliners.
Willie Walsh, the head of British Airways’ parent company, IAG, said of the order:
“The new B777-9 is the world’s most fuel efficient longhaul aircraft and will bring many benefits to British Airways’ fleet. It’s the ideal replacement for the Boeing 747 and its size and range will be an excellent fit for the airline’s existing network.
This aircraft will provide further cost efficiencies and environmental benefits with fuel cost per seat improvements of 30 per cent compared to the Boeing 747.”
2019 is a huge year for British Airways as it both celebrates its 100th year with special retro liveries and also introduces its brand-new and highly anticipated Club World seat on its first Airbus A350 aircraft. The new seat is set to replace its outdated high-density business-class layout, introduced more than a decade ago.
British Airways’ new 777-9 aircraft will feature a four-class configuration with a total of 325 seats. Each of the aircraft will be powered by GE9x engines from General Electric. While the aircraft are expected to be outfitted with the new Club World seat, they may also include a new first-class seat, given the lead time before the first delivery in 2022.
British Airways won’t be the launch customer for the 777-9, though — that honor goes to Emirates who will start to receive theirs from next year, followed by Lufthansa who will also feature an all new business-class seat. The 777-9 is the larger of two variants of the 777X family, which also includes the ultra-long-haul 777-8, and is scheduled to make its first flight this year. Boeing intends to replace its current 777 models with it.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees