Book JetBlue’s inaugural Airbus A220 flight from just $69 or 6,300 points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The moment many of us have been waiting for has arrived! JetBlue just confirmed the first flights for one of its latest fleet additions, the Airbus A220.
JetBlue’s A220s will eventually replace the carrier’s aging Embraer E190 aircraft, which are primarily used for shorter or lower-yield flights. At launch, however, the A220 will operate alongside the larger Airbus A320 on flights between Boston (BOS) and Tampa (TPA), before making its way to other routes.
The airline has confirmed the first flight as JetBlue 1391, departing Boston at 4:32 p.m. on April 26, 2021 and arriving in Tampa, Florida at 7:56 p.m. Aircraft assignments are always subject to change — if the A220 does end up flying as planned, you could take advantage of JetBlue’s extended travel waiver to cancel or change your booking without a fee.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
As of this writing, one-way cash fares start at just $69 for the carrier’s “Blue Basic” category, which doesn’t include a seat assignment but is covered by the extended waiver.
Alternatively, you can book an award starting at 6,300 points. If you choose not to travel, your points will be refunded and the $5.60 TSA fee will be deposited in your Travel Bank for use within one year.
Note that the A220 hasn’t been loaded to JetBlue’s booking system yet, so you’ll still see the larger A320 seat map for the moment. You can snag a seat now if you’d like, but you’ll want to check back to confirm your selection within the next few days.
JetBlue is planning to fly the A220 round-trip between Boston and Tampa once each day through the end of April. The airline was unable to confirm route assignments after that time — if you’re hoping to fly it during the first week, you’ll want to lock in one of these trips.
|Flight||Date||Dept Arp||Dept Time||Arvl Arp||Arrv Time|
TPG’s Zach Griff had a chance to check out the carrier’s “swanky” new plane earlier this year — it’s a clear upgrade from the E190, and a more comfortable ride in economy than the larger Airbus A320 family, too.
Aside from the larger windows, my favorite feature is the 2-3 seating arrangement — couples can snag seats together without a stranger joining their row, while families and larger groups can grab a grouping of three seats for more flexibility.
I’d expect the paired seats to go quickly, so if you’re expecting to fly the A220, you might want to lock in your booking a bit further in advance.
With room for 140 passengers, including 30 Even More Space seats with at least 35 inches of pitch and 110 standard coach seats with 32 inches of pitch, you should expect a comfortable ride wherever you end up.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.