JetBlue reinstates flexible travel waiver, leaving AA as lone holdout
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Good news for those booking JetBlue tickets.
On Friday April 2, the New York-based carrier extended its flexible travel waiver, giving flyers extra peace of mind when planning future travel. All JetBlue fares, including the carrier’s Blue Basic option, purchased through May 31, 2021, can be changed or canceled without fees.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Note that you’ll still be on the hook for a possible fare difference if you’re switching to a more expensive flight. Also, you’ll receive future travel credit for cancellations; refunds are only processed when the airline makes an involuntary change or cancellation to your itinerary.
JetBlue’s move comes just days after it let its flexible waiver expire as originally planned on Wednesday, March 31. The airline then implemented its overhauled fare structure on Thursday, April 1, which includes a $100 (or more) change/cancel penalty for basic economy tickets and a no-change-fee policy for all fares.
But now, the carrier’s done an about-face and reinstated the global waiver. In a statement to TPG, JetBlue said:
In response to the pandemic, JetBlue was the first airline to offer a Go Back and Forth with Confidence policy waiving change and cancel fees. This policy was set to expire on April 1, in conjunction with the launch of our new fare options eliminating change and cancel fees for all fares expect Blue Basic.
We know our Blue Basic customers need continued flexibility during these uncertain times, and we are extending our Go Back and Forth with Confidence for any Blue Basic fare purchased on or before May 31, 2021. When this policy does expire, JetBlue will be the only airline offering a basic economy/ultra-low-cost fare that has change/cancel flexibility, with change/cancel fees of $100 or $200 depending on the route.
JetBlue’s updated waiver applies retroactively, so any tickets purchased on April 1 (with the new fare structure) will now enjoy free changes and cancellations.
Of the major U.S. airlines, Alaska, Delta and United have all extended their flexible travel waivers for all tickets purchased through April 30. Right now, JetBlue’s is the most generous since it covers all tickets bought through May 31.
And then there’s American Airlines — the strictest of them all. AA’s basic economy tickets returned to being non-refundable and non-changeable on April 1, and the carrier confirmed to TPG that there are currently no plans to reinstate the flexible waiver.
If you’re concerned about getting sick or needing to postpone your plans due to another wave of COVID-19 infections, then you might want to think twice about booking basic economy fares with American — any itinerary modifications will require a brand-new ticket.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees