You can earn up to 5x miles on Apple purchases right now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If Apple products (new iPhone for the new year?) are on your shopping list, today is a good day to press “add to cart.” We’ve noticed elevated bonus mileage offers for Apple.com purchases across many airline shopping portals. You could also opt for up to 4% cash back via Active Junky, up to $100 off.
Here’s what you can earn:
- American: Earn 5 miles per dollar at Apple (typically 1x)
- Alaska: Earn 5 miles per dollar at Apple (typically 1x)
- United: Earn 5 miles per dollar at Apple (typically 1x)
- Southwest: Earn 3 miles per dollar at Apple (typically 1x)
- Delta: Earn 2 miles per dollar at Apple (typically 1x)
You should always compare the top earning rates for various retailers before making a big purchase, though how you value your miles will affect which offer is best overall.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To put math to this, if you purchased a rose gold 256 GB iPhone 11 Pro for $1,149 through the AAdvantage Shopping portal (without a trade-in discount), you’d earn 5,745 AAdvantage miles. Those miles are worth about $80, according to TPG’s most recent valuations, and even more if you can find the right flight to redeem them on. If you can time your award redemption with some of American’s frequent web specials, those 5.7k miles could be more than enough to fund an entire American Airlines one-way award flight.
There are some restrictions on what you can purchase at these increased award rates — gift cards, gift wrap, Bose products, Apple Developer Programs and shipping are typically ineligible to earn miles. Always check the fine print before you press purchase.
Whenever you make a large electronic purchase, be sure to use a credit card with purchase protection and extended warranty benefits. Benefits vary from card to card, but you may have success getting compensated if your product gets damaged or destroyed during the coverage period. Multiple TPG staffers have had success getting their Apple products covered through credit card protections.
If you’re picking up a pricey new phone, it’s a good time to ensure your monthly cellphone bill is paid with a card that will help protect your phone in the event of loss or damage beyond those initial few months when purchase protection is in play.
Here is a rundown of the best credit cards to use for Apple purchases. If you are still narrowing down what to buy, here are 7 travel must-haves with Apple’s newest iPhone 11s and Series 5 Watch.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.