This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s the link to apply now for the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card with a 100,000 point bonus.
As previously announced here at The Points Guy, the brand-new Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card officially launched on August 23 and is now open for applications. Even better, the card’s $450 annual fee is more than offset by the current limited-time welcome bonus. Through October 31, 2018, Amex is offering 100,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 within the first three months on the SPG Luxury card, which matches the highest offer we’ve seen for a co-branded SPG card.
Following the Marriott and SPG program merger earlier this month, Starpoints were multiplied by three to match Marriott’s new currency. Even so, we currently value these “new” SPG points at 0.9 cents each, making this welcome bonus worth $900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
In addition to the welcome bonus, SPG Luxury cardmembers can expect the following benefits:
- Up to $300 in statement credits for purchases at participating SPG or Marriott hotels each cardmember year
- $100 Global Entry or $85 TSA PreCheck fee credit
- Priority Pass Select membership (including two guests)
- Annual free night award (up to 50,000 points) after card renewal
- Automatic Gold status and the ability to earn Platinum after spending $75k in a calendar year
- Boingo Wi-Fi access
- 15 elite night credits beginning in 2019 (limited to one per member per year, not one per card)
You’ll also earn 6x points on purchases at SPG and Marriott properties, 3x points at US restaurants and on flights purchased directly from an airline and 2 points per dollar on all other purchases. The current bonus of 100,000 points after spending $5,000 in three months is only valid when you apply by October 31, 2018.
Note that on August 26, Amex is introducing new restrictions that will limit your ability to collect a new member bonus if you’ve had similar Marriott products from Chase. The SPG Luxury Card will be impacted by these restrictions as well, but you have a few days to sign up before the new rules go into effect, so be sure to apply now if you expect to be affected by this upcoming change.
This is the very first premium SPG credit card from American Express, and the second premium hotel card launched by the issuer this year (the first being the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express). It’s also the only premium co-branded credit card available to new applicants that’s part of the new Marriott program, since the Ritz-Carlton Rewards card was closed to new applicants last month.
With the now unified Marriott, SPG and Ritz-Carlton program comprising over 6,500 properties, it won’t be difficult to find a hotel tied to the chain in any city you’re visiting. So if you intend to be a regular Marriott customer, you may want to consider if the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card is a good fit for your travel needs.
This card has a $450 annual fee, but that's offset by up to $300 in statement credits that you can earn each year for Marriott and SPG purchases. You'll earn 6x points at Marriott and SPG properties, 3x points at US restaurants and on flights purchased directly from the airline and 2x points on everything else.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 100,000 bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 10/31/2018.
- Earn 6 points on eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels, 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines, and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees