This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and Avios just teamed up to make your Membership Rewards even more rewarding. Now through November 15, you can transfer Membership Rewards points to Aer Lingus Avios, British Airways Avios or Iberia Avios with a 40% bonus. Thanks to an improvement to the transfer ratio last year, this means you’ll get 1,400 Avios for each increment of 1,000 Membership Rewards you transfer.
You can earn American Express Membership Rewards through the:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 bonus points for spending $5,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- American Express® Gold Card: 35,000 bonus points for spending $2,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
British Airways Avios is one mileage program that some love to hate. And that’s understandable if you’re just looking at using Avios to fly transatlantic on British Airways flights. The BA
fuel surcharges wreck the value for most rewards.
But by taking advantage of the mileage-based sweet spots in the Avios redemption program, I’ve gotten more than 12 cents per Avios in value on Iberia premium economy flights, and often get more than 6 cents per Avios from short-haul intra-Europe flights. A TPG reader got almost 9 cents per Avios in value on American Airlines flights. TPG’s Senior Points and Miles Contributor Richard Kerr has scored more than 10 cents of value for flights in the Caribbean.
And this transfer bonus makes those sweet spots even sweeter. For example, it’ll cost just 10,750 Membership Rewards points for flying lie-flat business class on American Airlines or less than 10,000 Avios to fly between the US and Ireland.
This transfer bonus is also available from American Express Membership Rewards to Iberia Avios. While British Airways and Iberia both have distance-based award charts, the Iberia chart offers a whole different set of sweet spots — which we covered in this recent post detailing how to use the 90,000 bonus Avios from a recent promotion, and this post about when you should use Iberia Avios instead of British Airways Avios.
For those that took advantage of that Iberia promotion, this transfer bonus is a great way of topping off your account to book the awards that you want.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees