On which airlines can I use Avios?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with current information.
Avios are valuable. And Avios recently became even more appealing with Qatar Airways’ entrance to the program, especially since British Airways subsequently dropped its taxes and fees on Qatar Qsuite to be roughly in line with what Qatar charges.
Avios are used by the loyalty programs of British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Aer Lingus and Qatar. But there are many ways to maximize your Avios both inside and outside of Europe and the Middle East.
Best of all, you aren’t restricted to using Avios on these five carriers. And in many cases, you can get a better experience and potentially save hundreds of dollars in taxes and fees by booking awards on partner airlines.
However, the list isn’t identical for each of the five programs. So in this guide, we’ll dive into the carriers you can book with Avios.
Want more TPG news sent straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
British Airways is a founding member of the Oneworld alliance. Iberia and Qatar are also part of the Oneworld alliance.
So, assuming there’s saver award availability, you can use Avios from British Airways, Iberia and Qatar for flights on Oneworld airlines, including:
- Alaska Airlines.
- American Airlines.
- British Airways.
- Cathay Pacific.
- Japan Airlines.
- Malaysia Airlines.
- Qatar Airways.
- Royal Air Maroc.
- Royal Jordanian.
- S7 Airlines.
- SriLankan Airlines.
The great thing is that most of these carriers offer nonstop flights to the U.S. And American and Alaska provide extensive domestic service within the U.S. There are many cases where it’s cheaper to book American-operated flights using Avios than it would be to redeem AAdvantage miles.
Aside from the full Oneworld members listed above, you also have Fiji Airways, a “Oneworld Connect” member, which provides some of the benefits of a Oneworld membership (but not all). Fortunately, if you have Avios in your British Airways Executive Club account, you can redeem them for flights with Fiji Airways from Los Angeles to Nadi, Fiji.
Other partner airlines
While most people think of British Airways as the default program using Avios, it is also the currency of Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling and Qatar Airways. This allows you to play the five of them off one another if you’re trying to minimize both the Avios you need to redeem and the fuel surcharges and fees you’re required to pay.
So, in addition to the Oneworld partners listed above, you can use your Avios to book select flights operated by other airlines:
- British Airways Avios: Aer Lingus, airBaltic, Bangkok Airways, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Fiji Airways, Kenya Airways, Loganair, Vistara and Vueling (only bookable via British Airways phone agents). You can also book British Airways franchise partners Comair and Sun-Air with British Airways Avios.
- Iberia Avios: Avianca, Binter Canarias, Interjet, Level and Vueling.
- Qatar Avios: Bangkok Airways, Globus Airlines, Japan Transocean Air, LATAM, Middle East Airlines and Oman Air.
British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling and Qatar Airways have additional codeshare partners, but you can only redeem Avios for flights on select codeshare partners.
How to earn Avios
Frequent TPG readers know that we usually recommend sticking with cards that earn transferable points because of the added flexibility they offer. And this strategy still applies if you’re trying to accrue Avios.
You can transfer American Express Membership Rewards points, Capital One miles, Chase Ultimate Rewards points and Marriott Bonvoy points to British Airways, making Avios among the easiest miles to earn. From there, you can transfer Avios to Aer Lingus, Vueling, Iberia and Qatar Airways. Plus, you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to Qatar.
Points transfer from Chase, Citi, Capital One and Amex at a 1:1 ratio (in addition to occasional transfer bonuses of up to 40%), while Marriott points transfer to Avios at a 3:1 ratio. Plus, you’ll get a 5,000-Avios bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred. The following cards all offer strong welcome bonuses that you could easily convert to Avios:
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: Earn 75,000 bonus miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of card membership. Terms apply.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: Earn 100,000 bonus points after spending $15,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first six months of account opening. Terms apply.
With so many airline partners, Avios can take you to most corners of the planet. Qatar Airways’ recent entrance to the program has only made the Avios program more appealing.
You can always top off your Avios balance with transferrable points from Chase, Citi, Capital One, American Express and Marriott. No matter what Avios airline you use to book your flight, always check the award rates on other airlines before booking. For example, flying from the West Coast to Hawaii on Alaska or American only requires 13,000 Avios when booking with British Airways, but will set you back 35,000 Avios when booking with Qatar Airways.
Additional reporting by Kyle Olsen.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.