How to transfer your Avios between British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus accounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest information.
Avios is the currency used by the British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus and Aer Lingus AerClub loyalty programs. So, if you have a frequent flyer account with any (or all) of these airlines, you’ll be earning and redeeming Avios.
You can transfer Avios between the programs at a rate of 1:1, so 1 British Airways Avios is worth 1 Iberia Avios and vice versa. The reason you may wish to transfer your Avios between the different programs is that Avios have slightly different values and uses in each program. For example, a Reward Flight Saver is available with Avios in British Airways Executive Club but not in Iberia Plus.
Similarly, you may find lower prices, fees and taxes booking a long-haul Iberia-operated flight with Avios in your Iberia Plus account than your British Airways Executive Club account.
Note that you can only transfer Avios to yourself. Read our guide to British Airways household accounts for more information about sharing Avios between family members. But, in this guide, we’ll consider how to move your Avios between programs.
Sign up for our daily newsletter for more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox.
Combine your Avios via Avios.com (with your AerClub login)
The easiest way to transfer Avios between the three programs is via Avios.com using your Aer Lingus AerClub login details. The transfer process may take two steps depending on where your Avios are and where you want them to be (i.e., from Iberia to AerClub and then to Executive Club). But doing it this way does not have some of the frustrations and bugs that trying to transfer them outside of Avios.com can have.
You’ll first need to ensure your details in each program match (your full name, date of birth and email address). Iberia Plus also requires that your account be open for at least 90 days to receive or transfer Avios.
Then, open an AerClub account here — this is the loyalty program of Aer Lingus.
Once you have an account, you need to log in to Avios.com using your AerClub login details. The site may prompt you to create a new password.
Next, click the “Manage my account” tab within your Avios.com account and select “Combine my Avios.”
Any Avios currently in your AerClub account will appear in your Avios.com account, as this is how AerClub Avios are stored. That’s why you need to use your AerClub login details.
Next, you will choose the other program you want to move Avios to or from (i.e., British Airways or Iberia).
Once logged in, you can choose to transfer Avios to or from the selected program (in this case British Airways, but the same works for Iberia Plus if you have chosen to log in to that account instead).
The site will take you to a confirmation page to confirm your choice.
You can move any amount of Avios you choose, so long as you have that number in your “from” account. Notice that Avios.com will allow me to transfer just 1 Avios if I choose to confirm the transfer. There are no minimum transfer amounts.
If you want to move Avios from Iberia to British Airways, you would use this Avios.com feature to transfer Avios from Iberia to Avios.com and then from Avios.com to British Airways. While it involves an extra step, it’s the simplest and best method.
Transfers are free and instant.
Other ways to earn Avios
If you’ve combined all of your Avios on Avios.com and still need more for an upcoming redemption, you have a few options.
Sharing Avios among family
You can create a household account with British Airways and share your Avios with others this way. Once you have a household account, you can make a booking using Avios shared with you by family members.
Transfers from bank points
You can transfer your bank points to Avios-based programs and then combine them using the above method. Here are your transfer options:
- American Express Membership Rewards: Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus.
- Capital One: British Airways Executive Club.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus.
- Marriott Bonvoy: Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus.
These transfers are at a 1:1 rate, except for Marriott Bonvoy. Marriott transfers are at a 3:1 rate, with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points you send (60,000 points becomes 25,000 Avios, for example).
Credit card welcome offers
If you aren’t in a rush, the best way to pad your Avios stash is through bonuses from credit cards. Each Avios program has its own credit card, all issued by Chase in the U.S.
Right now, each card has the same welcome offer: Earn 100,000 bonus Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Additionally, each card has the same $95 annual fee. If you are interested in applying for any of these cards, make sure to consult our guide to credit card application rules to make sure you’re eligible.
Additional reporting by Ryan Smith.
Featured photo by Dennis Kartenkaemper/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees