Amex Platinum makes Lufthansa lounge access benefit permanent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since 2017, holders of The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and invite-only Centurion black card have been able to access select Lufthansa lounges when flying on an Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa or Swiss flight. That said, the benefit was only offered on a temporary basis and was extended multiple times over the years. The benefit was most recently scheduled to expire on Apr. 30, 2021.
Thankfully, the benefit has been extended again — and this time it’s permanent.
Now, it looks like American Express has made this a permanent benefit. As first spotted by One Mile at a Time, the German Amex website no longer shows an expiration date and states that all Platinum and Centurion cardholders are eligible for access if they meet entry conditions. The Lufthansa lounge landing page on the U.S. Amex website still shows the Apr. 30 expiration date. I expect the U.S. page to be updated in the near future. TPG has reached out to Amex for comment and will update this post with additional information.
As a reminder, Amex Platinum cardholders can access select Lufthansa business class lounges when flying on an economy ticket on an Austrian, Lufthansa or Swiss flight. If ticketed in business class, these members can show their American Express card and boarding pass for entry to the Senator lounge.
On the other hand, Centurion cardholders can access Lufthansa first class and Senator lounges regardless of their class of service.
Unfortunately, your Amex card will only get you into a very specific set of Lufthansa lounges, including:
To access a lounge, you’ll need to show your eligible Amex card, boarding pass for a same-day confirmed flight (on Austrian, Lufthansa or Swiss) and a government-issued photo ID. According to the German Amex website, both primary cardholders and additional cardholders are eligible for entry.
Also, remember that most Lufthansa lounges in the U.S. are a part of the Priority Pass program. A Priority Pass membership is included with the Amex Platinum and Centurion, so you can enter these lounges so long as you bring your Priority Pass card with you and have a boarding pass for a same-day flight. (Enrollment required).
In addition to Lufthansa and Priority Pass, you can use your Amex Platinum to enter these lounge networks (enrollment required):
- American Express Centurion Lounges
- Delta Sky Club lounges (when flying Delta)
- Priority Pass Select lounges
- U.S. Escape Lounges
- Airspace lounges
- Plaza Premium lounges
- International American Express Lounges
While a minor benefit, it’s great to see Amex extend this benefit for its Platinum and Centurion cardholders. This could come in handy when the E.U. (hopefully) reopens this summer if you find yourself flying from or through Frankfurt or Munich on your journey. It’s also a huge benefit for those based near these airports.
Feature photo by EQRoy / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees