Amex closing all Centurion Lounges in light of the coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The latest company to announce changes due to the virus is Amex. It’s now closing all Centurion Lounges worldwide effective Saturday.
“As the health and safety of our Card Members and colleagues is our top priority, in light of the spread of COVID-19 we are temporarily closing all The Centurion® Lounge locations, starting on Saturday, March 21, 2020,” a statement on the Centurion Lounge website said. “American Express will provide notice here and on the Amex Mobile App when locations reopen.”
Amex currently operates 12 Centurion Lounges across the world. The sole international location — Hong Kong — has already been closed since March 5, but now all stateside locations are shutting their doors too.
The network consists of lounges in:
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Dallas (DFW), includes spa services
- Hong Kong (HKG)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Los Angeles (LAX), includes spa services
- New York (LGA)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- Miami (MIA), includes spa services
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO), includes a wine-tasting area
2020 was supposed to be a big year for the Centurion Lounge network. The company already opened locations in Phoenix, Charlotte and Los Angeles before the coronavirus spread rapidly across the U.S. Amex was also slated to open lounges in London-Heathrow (LHR) and New York-JFK in the first half of 2020 and a Denver (DEN) outpost before the end of the year. Though we haven’t yet received official word of a delay, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the openings postponed to later this year or the beginning of 2021.
Amex also operates ten lounges across the world that it calls International American Express lounges. So far, just the Buenos Aires (EZE) location has closed.
Amex joins American Airlines, Delta and United in closing its lounges. AA is taking a more measured approach than United, which is closing all of its premium Polaris lounges, as well as select Club locations across the country. Delta’s also closing many of its SkyClubs.
Either way, these are unprecendented times, and Amex is just the latest to respond to the global crisis with the closure of all its Centurion Lounges.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- What does the deadly coronavirus mean for travelers?
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- No coronavirus waiver? Some airlines have you more covered than others
- How to ward off coronavirus in your hotel room
- Guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak
All photos by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees