American Airlines Flies First Nonstop Flight From US to Croatia in 28 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the first time in 28 years, a nonstop flight from the US landed in the “Pearl of the Adriatic” on Saturday, June 8. The American Airlines flight, its inaugural service on the route, departed from Philadelphia Friday at 6:30pm and landed in Dubrovnik on Saturday around 9:30am with 209 passengers aboard the Boeing 767-300ER aircraft.
The service will operate three times a week, leaving Philadelphia on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays and from Dubrovnik on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays. American announced that it will expand the service to four times a week in September until the end of the month. The flight to Dubrovnik takes around 9 hours, 15 minutes with the return scheduled for about 10 hours, 25 minutes. The seasonal service is scheduled to run through Sept. 27.
The flight was the first nonstop between the US and Croatia in 28 years, according to The Dubrovnik Times.
“Dubrovnik has been a place of interest for several years. It has grown in popularity among US travelers, but remained unserved by US airlines. American Airlines saw an opportunity to fill that gap. We are very pleased with sales on this route,” said American Airlines Vice President for Hub Operations Jim Moses said, according to the EX-YU Aviation News site that tracks aviation new in the former Yugoslavia.
Croatian officials are treating the flights as a trial run to that could eventually lead to nonstop services to other US airports, according to EX-YU Aviation News. If all goes well with Philadelphia, nonstop flights between New York and Zagreb will hopefully begin in summer 2020, Gari Cappelli, the Croatian minister for tourism said to Croatia’s public broadcaster HRT.
“Philadelphia was chosen to be linked with Dubrovnik, because it is an east coast hub for the airline and has excellent links with the west coast, Canada, as well the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Therefore, we expect a lot of transfer passengers as well. Furthermore, Philadelphia is close to New York, which is too congested,” Frano Luetić, general manager of Dubrovnik Airport, added, according to EX-YU Aviation News.
As for Dubrovnik, American said it chose the specific location, because it is the most visited destination in Croatia for Americans. The US also has generations of Croats who have expressed desire to visit their homeland. Other popular Croatian destinations for Americans include Split and Zagreb.
Though this is the first nonstop flight between the two countries in nearly three decades, it is not the first nonstop flight ever. Dubrovnik Airport previously had nonstop services to New York JFK and Chicago O’Hare prior to the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. While many know Dubrovnik as the Game of Thrones capital, there’s plenty more to the city to explore.
Featured image by Juha Remes / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.