Alaska Airlines Delays Launch of Paine Field Flights Due to Shutdown
The US government shutdown — which is already throwing a wrench in airport security lines as well as impacting the personal lives of employees — has claimed its first inaugural. Alaska Airlines had intended to begin flying from Paine Field – Snohomish County Airport (PAE) in Everett, Washington, on Feb. 11, 2019, and will now be pushing those first flights by almost a month.
In a blog post, the airline notes that “several key groups within the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which conduct crucial certification and oversight work required for the start of commercial air service at Paine Field, are subject to furloughs because of the government shutdown.” Because of this, scheduled service from the airport is being delayed until March 4, 2019, subject to receipt of all required government approvals.
We toured the sleek new passenger terminal a few months back, and we — along with many other AvGeeks — were looking forward to service launching soon that would give Seattle-area flyers an alternative to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA).
If you are holding an Alaska ticket for a Paine Field flight between Feb. 11, 2019 and March 4, 2019, check your email inbox. Alaska will be sending out a notification that you’re automatically rebooked on a new flight from Sea-Tac on your same date of travel, with a time that’s as close as feasible to your Paine Field time.
If you wish to keep Paine Field as your departing or arriving airport for a new flight on March 4 or later, you can do that, waiving any fees, by calling Alaska at 1-800-252-7522. If you’d prefer not to travel, opting instead for a cathartic sulk session, you can ring the number above and Alaska will issue “a full refund to your original form of payment, waiving any fees.”
Andrew Harrison, Alaska Airlines’ chief commercial officer, stated the following in response to the delay: “We know our guests who purchased tickets to and from Paine Field will be disappointed by this delay – so are we. There are certain things that are simply out of our control. We apologize if your travel plans need to change. But we remain eager and committed to giving you – our loyal guests – a much-needed airport alternative north of Seattle, and a great experience.”
Alaska also goes so far as to confess that Paine Field operations could be delayed further beyond March 4 if the shutdown isn’t resolved soon, remarking that it cannot begin flying at PAE “until [it has] all the required, final government approvals.”
Do you have an Alaska flight impacted by the shutdown? Let us know what you’re planning to do in comments below.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees