Air Canada resumes US flights, will serve fewer than half its destinations this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Montreal-based Star Alliance carrier resumed flights to Boston (BOS), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York LaGuardia (LGA), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD) on Friday, Air Canada said. The airline suspended all flights to the U.S. for the first time in nearly 80 years — except when all U.S. flights were grounded after 9/11 — due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In addition, Air Canada will roll out a summer schedule with flights to 97 cities around the world this weekend. The schedule features expanded domestic Canada options and both more U.S. and global destinations.
“As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic… our customers are expressing their eagerness to travel, where it is safe to do so” said Lucie Guillemette, chief commercial officer of Air Canada, in a statement. “We are accordingly gradually opening for sale flights for the summer and beyond as we rebuild our network.”
Air Canada had pared back most of its schedule in the face of near-zero demand during the pandemic. The airline has operated less than 10% of its normal schedule since mid-March and will continue to fly to less than half of the cities it served last summer in is new schedule.
In addition, the carrier will retire 79 jets from its fleet due to the crisis. This includes many of the 30 Boeing 767-300ERs in the Air Canada and Rouge fleets, plus some Airbus A319s and its 14 remaining Embraer E190s. The E190s will be replaced by the airline’s new Airbus A220-300s, which it still plans to take 14 more of this year.
To entice would-be travelers with concerns about COVID-19, Air Canada is offering booking flexibility through the end of June. Two new options that allow passengers to cancel bookings without a fee become available on June 1: they can either take a voucher with no expiration date, or convert the value of their ticket into Aeroplan Miles with a 65% bonus.
The new flexibility will apply to tickets booked between March 30 and June 30, and for travel through June 30, 2021. Air Canada’s previous change policy applies through the end of May.
The U.S. and Canadian border remains closed to all but essential travel through June 22. This will prohibit most U.S. flyers from boarding an Air Canada flight for at least the next few weeks.
But come June 22, Air Canada plans to significantly expand its typically broad offering of U.S. destinations. One airport where flights will resume is Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA), according to John Potter, president and CEO of Washington National operator the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.
— Edward Russell (@e_russell) May 20, 2020
Featured image courtesy of Air Canada.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees