Canadian carrier Porter Airlines to suspend flights until June 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Canadian regional carrier Porter Airlines will temporarily shut down until amid efforts to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The Toronto-based airline will fly until March 20 and then suspend all operations until June 1, Porter said Wednesday. Travelers with flights booked during the suspension can change or cancel an itinerary without fees.
“COVID-19 is having an unprecedented effect on people around the world and Porter is determined to do our part to support the efforts of the Canadian, U.S. and global authorities,” said Porter CEO Michael Deluce in a statement. “Restricting activities by people in all communities is what’s required to keep our team members and passengers healthy, and ultimately to end this fast-spreading pandemic.”
Porter is the first carrier in North America to temporarily suspend operations due to the pandemic. Numerous airlines in other parts of the world, including Air Baltic and Brussels Airlines, have also stopped flying during the crisis.
Porter’s decision to suspend flights comes as Canadian and U.S. authorities have reportedly agreed to close their border to all but cargo and essential travel.
Porter flew a third of its capacity on routes to the U.S. in 2019, according to Cirium schedules.
The airline serves Boston (BOS), Chicago Midway (MDW), Myrtle Beach (MYR), Newark Liberty (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD) from Toronto Billy Bishop (YTZ) its latest route map shows. It operates 29 De Havilland Dash 8-400 turboprops.
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has called on governments around the world to provide at least $200 billion in support to the airline industry. These funds are needed to get carriers through the impending cash-crunch as revenues dive amid plummeting demand.
“If we want to maintain a strong airline sector, able to cope with this difficult crisis but able also to provide the resources that the recovery [will need]… we need government to act quickly,” said IATA director general Alexandre de Juniac on Tuesday.
Featured image by Roberto Machado Noa/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees