United States and Canada to limit access across border
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This time last Friday, I was getting ready to cross the land border from Quebec to Vermont, after a week of skiing at Mont Tremblant (which, like many other resorts, is now closed). There was no line at the U.S. checkpoint, and certainly no mention of coronavirus when we approached the window — just the usual import and agriculture questions, reminding us not to bring fruit and certain other products back into the United States.
Soon, according to President Donald Trump, that border — and other checkpoints between the United States and Canada — will be closed, to leisure travelers like you and me.
There’s been a dizzying amount of travel news over the past 24 hours, but we’ve certainly seen a common theme — authorities at every level are working to limit any opportunity for people to interact, by canceling flights, closing borders and even keeping citizens in their homes.
While details are very light at the moment, the announcement will likely affect the entire northern border, along with the eastern border between Alaska and Canada. We’ll continue to update this story as it develops — in the meantime, visit our coronavirus landing page for more on how the outbreak is changing travel around the world.
Featured image of Mont Tremblant in Canada by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees