United States and Canada to limit access across border
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This time last Friday, I was getting ready to cross the land border from Quebec to Vermont, after a week of skiing at Mont Tremblant (which, like many other resorts, is now closed). There was no line at the U.S. checkpoint, and certainly no mention of coronavirus when we approached the window — just the usual import and agriculture questions, reminding us not to bring fruit and certain other products back into the United States.
Soon, according to President Donald Trump, that border — and other checkpoints between the United States and Canada — will be closed, to leisure travelers like you and me.
There’s been a dizzying amount of travel news over the past 24 hours, but we’ve certainly seen a common theme — authorities at every level are working to limit any opportunity for people to interact, by canceling flights, closing borders and even keeping citizens in their homes.
While details are very light at the moment, the announcement will likely affect the entire northern border, along with the eastern border between Alaska and Canada. We’ll continue to update this story as it develops — in the meantime, visit our coronavirus landing page for more on how the outbreak is changing travel around the world.
Featured image of Mont Tremblant in Canada by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.