First Look: Onboard Air Canada’s first Airbus A220
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada showed off its first Airbus A220 on Wednesday, ahead of the plane’s debut in the skies above Canada this week.
“This is a historic moment for Air Canada as we welcome the A220 into our fleet,” Air Canada CEO Calin Rovinescu said at an event to mark the introduction of the new jet at the airline’s hangar in Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL).
The Star Alliance carrier will initially introduce the A220 on flights between Montreal and Calgary (YYC) on Thursday, expanding its network to other routes in its network — including to New York LaGuardia (LGA) — ahead of launching two new routes in May. That month, Air Canada will deploy the A220 on the airline’s first flights between Montreal and Seattle (SEA), and between Toronto and San Jose, California (SJC).
Air Canada outfits its A220-300s, formerly the Bombardier CSeries, with 137 seats split between 12 in business class and 125 in economy. Business class is laid out in a 2-2 configuration.
Economy is laid out in a 2-3 configuration. The cabin includes 20 preferred seats with extra legroom.
Every seat on Air Canada’s A220 has a personal video screen, and power outlets. The aircraft is also outfitted with inflight Wi-Fi provided by Gogo.
One item Air Canada has opted not to keep on its A220s is the lavatory window, which has delighted passengers on Delta Air Lines’ A220s. Delta was North America’s first operator of the smaller A220-100, which it debuted in February 2019.
Air Canada has firm orders for 45 A220-300s with plans to operate 17 A220-300s by year-end, the airline’s vice president of network planning Mark Galardo told TPG at the event. All of the aircraft are due by 2022.
The airline took delivery of its first A220 on Dec. 20.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
Air Canada will use the A220 to replace the Embraer E190, which is due to leave the Air Canada fleet by the end of 2020. However, Galardo notes that the E190 retirement may be delayed if the Boeing 737 MAX grounding drags on through the year.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees