American Airlines MileSAAver Awards Vanish From Many Routes, Airline Working on Fix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 7:48pm ET: It appears that that fix has been implemented, as many routes have returned to showing award availability. For example, in the Atlanta (ATL) to New York LaGuardia (LGA) route used as an example below, there’s now 23 of 29 dates that have saver availability — instead of zero dates earlier Monday.
The original story continues below.
American Airlines has confirmed what AAdvantage members have been seeing for the past few days: saver award availability has virtually disappeared from many award routes — even those routes that almost always have availability.
For example, I’m a regular on American Airlines’ route between Atlanta (ATL) and New York-LaGuardia (LGA). Saver award availability is never an issue for me on this route. Instead, I can’t find a single date that has economy MileSAAver availability for months.
In this example, there’s not much of an issue as Economy Web Special rates are typically below the MileSAAver rate of 12,500 miles and the Reduced Mileage Award rate of 8,750. However, this is a perfect example that there’s an issue with MileSAAver: AA is offering dynamic award prices for many dates below the standard rate, but there’s not a single date available at the MileSAAver rate.
The issue is a much bigger deal on other routes. In a FlyerTalk thread about the issue, one of the example routes listed was from Kansas City (MCI) to Chicago-O’Hare (ORD). The member noted that “it doesn’t look like there are any available Economy MileSaaver seats for the rest of the year.” Sure enough, when I checked, the short 403-mile route didn’t have a single day of economy MileSAAver availability either direction for the remainder of the year. And the airline isn’t offering cheaper Economy Web Specials on this route:
The only routes that I’ve been able to find MileSAAver award availability are routes that don’t (yet) have Economy Web Special pricing. For example, Las Vegas (LAS) to Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP):
Speculation is that this is related to AA extended cancellations of the 737 MAX. However, the problem persists well beyond the extended cancellation date of September 3.
The good news is that AA acknowledges this issue and is working on a fix. An American Airlines spokesperson confirmed to TPG on Monday afternoon:
We’re aware that MileSAAver availability is not displaying correctly. We’re working on addressing and expect to have things back to normal [Tuesday] morning.
There’s an important question that this naturally raises: Is this actually a glitch, or is this giving us a glimpse into the future of award pricing at American Airlines? In late May, American Airlines executives confirmed that the airline is considering dynamic award pricing, and that’s what we were seeing here on many of these routes. But for now, it seems that we haven’t reached the death of MileSAAver.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees