American Airlines Extends Cancellation of Boeing 737 MAX Flights Through September 3
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced on Sunday that it will extend the cancellation of all Boeing 737 MAX flights through September 3, 2019. Previously, American’s flight cancellations were set to run through August 19. The grounding of the MAX has led to American canceling around 115 flights daily, which will now continue through the September 3 date.
In the statement, American said it “remains confident that impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX, along with the new training elements Boeing is developing in coordination with [its] union partners, will lead to recertification of the aircraft soon.”
American has been canceling flights and swapping out aircraft to minimize the impact of the MAX grounding and will continue to do so until the plane is recertified to fly. This means that even if a passenger’s original flight wasn’t schedule to be operated by a 737 MAX, it could still be canceled as American works to swap out aircraft to minimize the overall impact of the grounding.
American says its Reservations team is actively contacting customers by email or phone who are impacted, so if you have flights booked on American be sure to keep and eye out for any communications from the airline.
A representative for Southwest tells TPG that it has not made any additional schedule revisions beyond its current cancellation date of Aug. 5. A representative for United, which has canceled 737 MAX flights through Aug. 3, tells TPG it also does not have plans to adjust its current cancellation date.
If you have travel scheduled on an airline that operates the Boeing 737 MAX check out our guide on what to do if your flight has been affected.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.