American Airlines Extends Cancellation of Boeing 737 MAX Flights Through September 3
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced on Sunday that it will extend the cancellation of all Boeing 737 MAX flights through September 3, 2019. Previously, American’s flight cancellations were set to run through August 19. The grounding of the MAX has led to American canceling around 115 flights daily, which will now continue through the September 3 date.
In the statement, American said it “remains confident that impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX, along with the new training elements Boeing is developing in coordination with [its] union partners, will lead to recertification of the aircraft soon.”
American has been canceling flights and swapping out aircraft to minimize the impact of the MAX grounding and will continue to do so until the plane is recertified to fly. This means that even if a passenger’s original flight wasn’t schedule to be operated by a 737 MAX, it could still be canceled as American works to swap out aircraft to minimize the overall impact of the grounding.
American says its Reservations team is actively contacting customers by email or phone who are impacted, so if you have flights booked on American be sure to keep and eye out for any communications from the airline.
A representative for Southwest tells TPG that it has not made any additional schedule revisions beyond its current cancellation date of Aug. 5. A representative for United, which has canceled 737 MAX flights through Aug. 3, tells TPG it also does not have plans to adjust its current cancellation date.
If you have travel scheduled on an airline that operates the Boeing 737 MAX check out our guide on what to do if your flight has been affected.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees