American Airlines Extends Cancellation of Boeing 737 MAX Flights Through September 3
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines announced on Sunday that it will extend the cancellation of all Boeing 737 MAX flights through September 3, 2019. Previously, American’s flight cancellations were set to run through August 19. The grounding of the MAX has led to American canceling around 115 flights daily, which will now continue through the September 3 date.
In the statement, American said it “remains confident that impending software updates to the Boeing 737 MAX, along with the new training elements Boeing is developing in coordination with [its] union partners, will lead to recertification of the aircraft soon.”
American has been canceling flights and swapping out aircraft to minimize the impact of the MAX grounding and will continue to do so until the plane is recertified to fly. This means that even if a passenger’s original flight wasn’t schedule to be operated by a 737 MAX, it could still be canceled as American works to swap out aircraft to minimize the overall impact of the grounding.
American says its Reservations team is actively contacting customers by email or phone who are impacted, so if you have flights booked on American be sure to keep and eye out for any communications from the airline.
A representative for Southwest tells TPG that it has not made any additional schedule revisions beyond its current cancellation date of Aug. 5. A representative for United, which has canceled 737 MAX flights through Aug. 3, tells TPG it also does not have plans to adjust its current cancellation date.
If you have travel scheduled on an airline that operates the Boeing 737 MAX check out our guide on what to do if your flight has been affected.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.