This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Along with the ability to defeat basic economy, American Airlines co-branded credit cards offer a lesser-known — but quite valuable — perk: reduced mileage awards. This benefit allows you to save between 1,000 and 7,500 miles per round-trip, depending on the route and the type of card you have.
And, it’s not like there are only a few airports that qualify. The current list has 166 airports listed for at least one month from June through September, with 49 airports on the list for all four months. As the number of cities can be overwhelming, we’ve found it helpful to have maps of all the options. You’ll find those maps below.
But, before you scroll down, here’s a quick reminder of how reduced mileage awards work. Say you live in Tampa, FL (TPA), or one of the other 48 airports listed all four months. If you have an eligible credit card and can find saver award availability, you can fly to any airport in the US for just 17,500 miles round-trip from June to September — since your airport is listed for all four months. For flights under 500 miles nonstop each way (i.e., Tampa-Miami), the cost is just 6,500 one-way or 13,000 round-trip.
But, even if your airport isn’t listed for a month, you can still fly from your airport to any of the airports mapped below for just 13,000 (for direct flights under 500 miles) to 17,500 AAdvantage miles round-trip, if there’s award availability on the route.
If you have one of the following cards, you can save 7,500 miles off a round-trip award ticket (or 3,750 off one-way):
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard
- CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Business Mastercard
- Other credit cards listed here that are no longer open to new applicants.
Or, you’re eligible for 5,000 miles off a round-trip award ticket (or 2,500 off one-way) if you have one of the following:
- Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Blue MasterCard (not accepting new applications)
If you have multiple types of cards (i.e., the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard and the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard), you’re only eligible to take advantage of the discount once. However, the discount can be stacked with the 10% mileage rebate available on qualifying AA cards. So, your “net” mileage cost for an economy flight could be just 7,875 miles one-way (15,750 round-trip).
How Do the Amounts Add Up?
Nonstop award flights of less than 500 miles normally cost just 7,500 AAdvantage miles. These sub-500-mile award flights aren’t eligible for the full 7,500-mile round-trip discount noted above, but instead see a savings of 1,000 miles each way. This means that you’ll pay just 6,500 miles one-way for flights of less than 500 miles, and that’s before the 10% rebate. Here’s how the numbers break down for flights both longer and shorter than 500 miles:
|One-Way Flights||Within the US
|Award Chart Cost||12,500||7,500|
|Reduced Mileage Award Discount||(3,750)||(1,000)|
|10% Rebate (if eligible)||(875)||(650)|
Remember that the AA 10% mileage rebate is capped at 10,000 miles per calendar year, so if you’ve already hit your limit, you’ll pay the amounts listed on the “Mileage Cost” row of the chart.
AA is kicking off this version of the Reduced Mileage Award list with 60 airports for June — down noticeably from 82 on the just-expired list. Here are some of the top destinations to consider:
- Brownsville, TX (BRO)
- Jackson Hole, WY (JAC)
- Nantucket, MA (ACK)
- Oakland, CA (OAK)
- Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE)
Not mapped (for space): Billings, MT (BIL); Eugene, OR (EUG); Jackson Hole, WY (JAC)
On the revised list for July, there are 78 airports to/from which you can apply a reduced mileage award discount. Among the many great options, there are:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Brownsville, TX (BRO)
- Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
- Lexington, KY (LEX)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- Waco, TX (ACT)
Not mapped (for space): Bismarck, ND (BIS)
As the summer wraps up, there are a surprisingly large 128 airports on the list for August. Here are some you might want to consider:
- Charleston, SC (CHS)
- Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Houston, TX (IAH)
- Huntsville/Decatur, AL (HSV)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- San Diego, CA (SAN)
- San Francisco, CA (SFO)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
As we move into the fall, American Airlines has listed a very generous 154 airports for September. Here are some options:
- Baltimore, MD (BWI)
- Omaha, NE (OMA)
- Orlando, FL (MCO)
- Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
- Redmond / Bend, OR (RDM)
- Richmond, VA (RIC)
- Tucson, AZ (TUS)
How to Book
Once you’ve found MileSAAver award availability on American Airlines’ website, call American Airlines at 1-800-882-8880 — or your elite reservations number, if applicable — to book the award ticket. As these awards aren’t available to book online, the terms and conditions state that the standard $30 phone-booking fee will be waived. However, if you book in person through an airport agent or AA travel center, a booking fee of $35 will apply.
For June–September 2018 reduced mileage awards, the discount codes that you’ll have to provide the agent for the larger discount are as follows:
|7,500 / 2,000-mile cards||Within the US
|Savings (per round-trip)||7,500||2,000|
|First Class (2-cabin)||UD21X2A / AVM92||UD14A / AVA36|
|Business Class (3-cabin)||UD28X7A / AVA31||N/A|
|Main Cabin||TD8X7A / AVM85||TD6X5A / AVA35|
And for the smaller discount:
|5,000 / 1,000-mile cards||Within the US
|Savings (per round-trip)||5,000||1,000|
|First Class (2-cabin)||UD22X5A / AVM83||UD14X5A / AVA30|
|Business Class (3-cabin)||UD30A / AVA25||N/A|
|Main Cabin||TD10A / AVM82||TD7A / AVA29|
1. The discount applies to flights both to and from the listed airports. I periodically get an AAgent that insists otherwise, so I have to employ the HUCA technique (Hang Up Call Again). However, American Airlines agents are instructed to only apply the discount for flights inside the United States to/from the listed airports. So unfortunately, this keeps you from applying this discount for flights between a listed airport and Europe, Asia or even the Caribbean or Canada.
2. Unfortunately the discount only applies to American Airlines-operated flights; Alaska-operated flights don’t qualify for the discount.
3. The airports on the previous RMA list for June and July aren’t necessarily still available. Discounted award flights to/from the airports on the previous list had to be booked by May 31. Make sure to book award flights for the airports listed above before July 31 to avoid missing out, as the list of airports for August and September will likely change on August 1.
4. The $75 close-in booking fee applies for travel within 21 days. This fee is waived when American Airlines Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites use miles from their account.
5. Reduced mileage award discounts codes can be applied to domestic business and first-class awards. The savings of 7,500/2,000 (5,000/1,000 for lesser cards) miles are the same regardless of the cabin booked.
6. Canada flights still haven’t returned. I noticed in February that the terms and conditions were scrubbed of all Canada mentions. However, for a while, we still had codes that would sometimes work for Canada flights. But, those cards disappeared in the April 1 version of this program and still aren’t back.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: Earn 60,000 miles after $3,000 spent within the first 3 months. The sign-up offer alone is worth up to $840. If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- For a limited time, earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*